Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulling hay over the weekend last load pulled up to barn and OD light started flashing and got out to see a trail of fluid where a backed truck 20 foot long of fluid. Killed truck let it set. Next day moved it 20 yards checked fluid barely touching stick (still pink). What should my next step be? I assume the front seal went. She has 180k on her I bought with 125 k and have done two fluid filter changes in that time.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Have you refilled it to see if it leaks again? I remember reading something on here, but couldn't find it again, that when an E4OD overheats it will "vent" out the front seal. If that is the case might be time to think about an aftermarket trans cooler.

A buddy's truck did that once, his daughter was driving it in the hay field while he and myself loaded hay, dumped fluid out the front seal, big mess, let it cool off, filled it, then drove it another 6 years till he sold it. So I thought the above theory held water, however this is a wild guess on my part.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Native Texan
8,984 Posts
Yes they will leak from the front seals when hot there are seal out there that claim to stop that but have never tried one to see if it works. you can probably fill it back up and be fine till u get it hot again. like was said maybe time for an aux cooler.

I was born into Gobernment health care. And will die in Gobernment Health care. God Bless Our Military Men And Women.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hope I'm replying correctly trying to figure out forum. No haven't added any fluid yet. Didn't leak when I moved it and OD wasn't flashing. I was assuming the seal ruptured or pushed out. Since it went in the yard and not going down the road I didn't want to create damage if none was done.

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
So you have a 50/50 chance of the input seal being bad. Fill it up and drive it, if it leaks. Drop the trans. Like said above look into a 6.0 trans cooler. And if you have 4x4, pop it into low when you go to do slow moving around the yard.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply I have a couple questions. If it doesn't leak can it be trusted. We live in the blue ridge mountains it's tough even not hauling. Next is I've read on here most like bts trans. There has to be something between the 5k trans and the 1200$ e40? Any input would help I've read ads til I'm cross-eyed. Lastly i know nothing about coolers what can I read for a start?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Filled it up drove for about fifteen miles round trip with a couple steep hills to get temp up a bit checked fluid and no leak so far. Fluid still nice and pink and no burn smell. I'll drive further and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
If it runs out good and doesn't leak, personal opinion is leave it alone and put a cooler on it. The above mentioned 6.0 cooler is a good idea, and the gentleman that mentioned it knows a thing or two or three about mountain running. Some folks on here will recommend a tru-cool. It's all a judgement call on your end. Like said it's a 50/50 gamble.

If you use the search function here you'll find some good ideas, and Google is your friend also, lots of options. And if you upgrade the trans later, you'll want the better cooler anyway, so it's not a loss in my opinion.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
615 Posts
JS...I have overheated my E4OD enough to blow 2 qts out the first time and nearly 4 qts out the second time. That was over 150k miles ago...it still shifts great, runs great and no leaks. Sometimes I need that extra large cooler. I should get one, maybe before the next time I need it. Good luck, I think you will be ok.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just drove 50 miles with it . No leaks and shifts fine. Definitely getting a bigger cooler. Thanks for the responses I hope it helps the next guy who has it happen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts