Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellas,
97 4x4 CCSB ZF-5 parked since 2014. Just installed New 205/30s jectors, new performance HPOP, up pipes, turbo, retro fit IC, 6.0 E-Fuel (with cold fuel recirculating circuit removed) pump, with regulated return and fuel filters changed fresh fuel, fresh oil, new batteries.
Upon cranking, tack moves, No Diagnostic Trouble Codes, fuel system is primed and pump is running, however pressure is not registering at regulator, which is set at 65psi +-.

AutoEnginuity scanner initially says 54% IPR duty cycle, RPM is 165, injection oil pressure is way low until 13 seconds of continuous cranking then HPO jumps to 2460 psi and duty cycle drops to 34%. Fuel injection is 0.04ms once 2460 HPO is reached then pulse width is 0.32ms. Injector buzz test all injectors are firing strongly. All relays and fuses have been cleaned and greases with dialectic grease.

Thinking I still have air in HPO system as it should be at 2400 psi almost instantly not 13 seconds of cranking. Using stock files with no Hydra installed yet, IDM is 120 volt unit, GP relay is a White Rodgers (Stancor) 200 amp unit.

Suggestions welcome.

· Premium Member
1995 Ford F-350 7.3 PSD
302 Posts
Is your HPOP reservoir full? Maybe the LPOP is allowing back flow

· Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your HPOP reservoir full? Maybe the LPOP is allowing back flow
Good point, it’s within 1/2” of top of Reservoir.

Reactions: Hendy

· Premium Member
1995 Ford F-350 7.3 PSD
302 Posts
Good point, it’s within 1/2” of top of Reservoir.
I guess we can’t rule out new parts, even though something is new doesn’t mean it’s working ( I had an issue with an Ipr I had bought turned out it was faulty out of the box)

Once it starts, does it run well after starting or does it start to run rough after a couple mins.

Realistically it could be air due to the new HPOP as you said.

· Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I guess we can’t rule out new parts, even though something is new doesn’t mean it’s working ( I had an issue with an Ipr I had bought turned out it was faulty out of the box)

Once it starts, does it run well after starting or does it start to run rough after a couple mins.

Realistically it could be air due to the new HPOP as you said.
It’s not fired yet… no smoke, nuthin. Initially when we swapped in new oil I left a couple litres out knowing I’d need to fill Reservoirs several times with new HPOP and injectors as the HPO rails would have little oil in them. So currently oil level is maintained at 1/2” or less from top of reservoir by Low Pressure Oil Pump.
Was thinking I could change out the IPR as I do have a couple spares, but the AutoEnginuity data seems to suggest IPR is working.

· Premium Member
1995 Ford F-350 7.3 PSD
302 Posts
So a maybe a fuel system issue?

· Premium Member
1995 Ford F-350 7.3 PSD
302 Posts
Do you have fuel pressure after the fuel bowl?

you said that the fuel is not registering at the regulator, I honestly can’t remember what that is😂
Could you possibly explain it to me?

· Premium Member
1995 Ford F-350 7.3 PSD
302 Posts
When you turn the key to the on position does the wait to start light come on?
If not check fuse #22 ( I’m not exactly sure that’s the correct one but I will check)

· Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hendy it has a DIY regulated return fuel system on it. 6.0 (from 6.0 powerstroke engine) Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module mounted on the frame with Donaldson 30 micron H2O separator pre pump filter, stock filter in 6.0 HF module and Cat 2 micron post pump then into stock lines to Hi Pressure heads, then into fuel regulator set at 65 psi and returned to tank.

· Premium Member
1995 Ford F-350 7.3 PSD
302 Posts
Hendy it has a DIY regulated return fuel system on it. 6.0 (from 6.0 powerstroke engine) Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module mounted on the frame with Donaldson 30 micron H2O separator pre pump filter, stock filter in 6.0 HF module and Cat 2 micron post pump then into stock lines to Hi Pressure heads, then into fuel regulator set at 65 psi and returned to tank.
Thank you, I was a little confused as I’m still sort of learning everything

· Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stock Fuel bowl and heater has been deleted and harness has been deleted so no shorting could occur per fuse 22. ECM is active as I’ve completed injector buzz tests with excellent response from injectors.

· Premium Member
1995 Ford F-350 7.3 PSD
302 Posts
I will look through the shop manuals for the 7.3 and see if I can find some pinpoint tests for you but other than that it seems we are at the end of my limited knowledge. I hope others can help you with this

· Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup Wait to start light comes on and Glow Plug Relay (White Rodgers, Stancor 200 amp) is clicking on, glow plugs were tested at jector install stage and all showed acceptable ohms.

· Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you so much Hendy, I’m a little perplexed at the moment. I think we still have air in the HPO system and I may swap out the IPR to see if H pressure oil rises faster then 13 seconds crank.

For the fuel thinking I’ll swap out the aftermarket regulator as I’m perplexed why with E pump on I’m showing no fuel pressure, gauge is brand new too and liquid filled.
I know the 6.0 fuel pump module has a cold fuel circuit that when fuel is cold on the return line it’s re-routed back to the pressure side of pump (inside module housing) and sent back to engine. When fuel is hot it is routed to tank. The routing is via some small valve(s) and temp sensitive plunger inside module. That initially was giving us grief for trying to prime the E pump so I eliminated the valve/temp plunger and JB welded the passages closed so all fuel returns to tank now.

· Premium Member
1995 Ford F-350 7.3 PSD
302 Posts
I think swapping the Ipr is a good idea, going back to the factory regulator is also a good idea just to rule out issues with the new regulator. If you wanted to see if you can get the truck to fire fast you could use ether 😂 but that’s always caused more harm than good for me

· Registered
447 Posts
as far as air in hpo i built a funnel like thing that screws onto the hp oil hose fitting on the head and pull the icp or front plug depending on which head and pour oil directly into head till it runs out the other port and have very little trouble on first starts that way being as most air is already removed
you could pull icp and spin it over a little and see if head is full of oil already

· Premium Member
99 & 00, F350s, manual and auto, Ext & Crew Cab, 4x2 & 4x4, need more room!
4,186 Posts
AutoEnginuity scanner initially says ....
When I researched, AutoEnginuity is considered a bad scanner for Heavy Fords.

Get FORScan scanning software for Fords (free) and an OBDII reader. Greatest troubleshooting tool ever! I do not have financial interest in this tool. I just love it.

There is no way that there are no codes in a no start situation.

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
So what engine do you have in it? That would help in your signature.

It's easy enough to change the IPR. Try it. Costs only time, and you can rebuild them.

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
I believe it is fuse 30 on the older ones, @Hendy, but the PCM has power so it won't be that.

@JCart - have you put a multimeter on every fuse?

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Thank you so much Hendy, I’m a little perplexed at the moment. I think we still have air in the HPO system and I may swap out the IPR to see if H pressure oil rises faster then 13 seconds crank.
Think about this- if you have air in your rails, then the HPOP has to compress that air before the pressure builds. That is why it takes so long.

Reactions: JCart
1 - 20 of 32 Posts