Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first diesel,I have a 97 powerstroke, and i was wondering what parts between my truck and the motor of a 99+ 7.3 are compatable. a buddy of mine has a 7.3 laying in the yard and i was wondering what parts i could use off of it. i do think my up pipes are leaking a little bit. I also am curious to know whether they have better turbos, oil pumps, injectors, if any of the parts off a 99+ motors are better than the ones in my truck and if the parts are a direct fit and whatnot
Thanks looking

·
COMPUTER BLUE
1,979 Posts
Injectors aren't any better
Turbo mounts differently
upgrading from a 15* to a 17* (99+) pump could be beneficial it depends what you want to do with the truck

Personally I wouldn't be to keen on running parts from a motor that have been sitting in someones yard outside

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much better is a 17 degree than a 15? whats the difference between the injectors? I read somewhere that 99.5+ have 140cc ad code injectors as opposed to 130cc ab code, is that true? Whats the difference in the code?
Why is it important that the turbo mounts differently? am i able to use the up pipes?
also is the turbo any different? intercooled?
thanks

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,350 Posts
the 17* pump will hold a higher PSI but it also depends on the health of both pumps..sometimes the 15* will hold better..you are correct on the injectors but when in the truck it doesn't make much of a differnts..they will make good cores though...the turbo on a 99.5 sits higher and is bigger then the 97and E99 and i believe the driver side manifolds are different on the 97..for them reasons the up pipes will not work for you unless you swapped over everything from the manifold up..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been reading around and see that alot of ppl are putting 17* in their obs trucks so ill take a look at it and see if the part is good enough to use,
Does the newer turbo spool up faster or push more boost? i know my truck is not intercooled but is a 99.5+ intercooled and is that a good and/or easy intercooler to put in my truck?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Ya you could swap the intercooler over but you will need to find an early 99 spyder to make it work on your obs...

If you want to use that 17* pump, I would send it somewhere to have it checked out. You are not going to visually check it yourself and decide it's better than your 15* stocker... It depends on pressures it can hold. It's a mechanical part and mechanical parts fail and wear over time.

The SD turbo isn't really an upgrade over your 97's turbo so I wouldn't be keen on swapping all that stuff over...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I can see is the SD motors have more aftermarket option and their intercooled. I like this cause I definatley want to put a better turbo on my truck In The future. Am I wrong? I just want my rig to be intercooled and be able to get a kick ass turbo when I have the funds. I was actually just considering tearing the motor apart and rebuilding it while I run the original motor. Are the SD motor a better platform than mY 97 for a build? There seems to be alot more Parts for those trucks

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
read the hpop gasket sticky if you swap pumps.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It all comes down to what you want your truck to do. I'm in the process of building a 97 to drop on my old man 95 f350, and adding intercooler. As for him he really doesn't need all that performance, but wants some upgrade to it.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
From what I can see is the SD motors have more aftermarket option and their intercooled. I like this cause I definatley want to put a better turbo on my truck In The future. Am I wrong? I just want my rig to be intercooled and be able to get a kick ass turbo when I have the funds. I was actually just considering tearing the motor apart and rebuilding it while I run the original motor. Are the SD motor a better platform than mY 97 for a build? There seems to be alot more Parts for those trucks
No... SD motors do not have any more aftermarket options than an OBS... Yes they are intercooled but it really doesn't take much to add an intercooler to an OBS. You can add whatever turbo you want to either truck, any aftermarket turbo will need a different mount, that goes for both obs and sd...

·
Registered
42 Posts
i have an 02 sd and i just put a 97 block in my truck but put my 02 heads and everything else ontop of the 97 block. the 97s have forged rods as compared to the sd PMRs. so obviously forged is way more reliable for a motor build than PMRs. also not true abot the turbos you wont need a different mount on all i have a garret gt38r and its a direct bolt on.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
i have an 02 sd and i just put a 97 block in my truck but put my 02 heads and everything else ontop of the 97 block. the 97s have forged rods as compared to the sd PMRs. so obviously forged is way more reliable for a motor build than PMRs. also not true abot the turbos you wont need a different mount on all i have a garret gt38r and its a direct bolt on.
To be clear... Not all SD's have PMR's... and a 38r is the only one that is a direct bolt. Just like a D66 is the only direct bolt to an obs...

He stated he wanted a good aftermarket turbo, i assumed an H2E or GQSSB or something. In that case, yes, you will need an aftermarket mount.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well to be quite honest the only reason i want to build the sd motor is because its free, and i can rebuild it while i am putting miles on the 97, i was hoping to do a full build over the next year so that i will have a built motor to put in my truck whenever this one blows up. Should i try to find a obs motor to build instead? I mean i will probably be peicing the new motor together from whatever parts i buy or find so i dont have much criteria other than putting the new motor back together with better parts on it that a 7.3 reman. I have 267000 miles on my truck so i dont figure itll have too many more miles on this motor with the amount of miles i drive. I am trying to make my truck big flatbed hopped up diesel. I dont think my motor is young enough to take all the parts i hope to have in my truck so i want to build a new one. Is the SD or the OBS an easier,cheaper or better motor to build. I hope to have 4-500+ HP when this truck is done. I mean what motor has better aftermarket injectors, cam,turbo, chip, valve springs, the whole nine yards. Id imagine they have similar products availiable for them but i dont quite know what peices to pick for my motor build

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Well to be quite honest the only reason i want to build the sd motor is because its free, and i can rebuild it while i am putting miles on the 97, i was hoping to do a full build over the next year so that i will have a built motor to put in my truck whenever this one blows up. Should i try to find a obs motor to build instead? I mean i will probably be peicing the new motor together from whatever parts i buy or find so i dont have much criteria other than putting the new motor back together with better parts on it that a 7.3 reman. I have 267000 miles on my truck so i dont figure itll have too many more miles on this motor with the amount of miles i drive. I am trying to make my truck big flatbed hopped up diesel. I dont think my motor is young enough to take all the parts i hope to have in my truck so i want to build a new one. Is the SD or the OBS an easier,cheaper or better motor to build. I hope to have 4-500+ HP when this truck is done. I mean what motor has better aftermarket injectors, cam,turbo, chip, valve springs, the whole nine yards. Id imagine they have similar products availiable for them but i dont quite know what peices to pick for my motor build
It's going to cost you about the same since it's the same parts you will need to buy. If you can get a good solid block for free, build that one... What year is the superduty motor?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
99. The same guy has 2 diesel vans not quite sure of the year tho. 2000 maybe. Both broken down

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.