Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke a pushrod in my 97 yesterday, I was wondering wat you guys thought were the best bang for your buck hi po push rods:poke:

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
Re: 97 7.3l broken pushrod, need help

Sorry but there might be more issues than you think.

Unless you over revved or floated a valve from too much boost, push rods don't bend for no reason.

·
Registered
74 Posts
:whs:

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Re: 97 7.3l broken pushrod, need help

Unless you over revved or floated a valve from too much boost, push rods don't bend for no reason.
Was it an exhaust pushrod? Drive pressure being too high usually does a number on them with stock valvesprings.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
put hypermax push rods in, the engine is still poping out of the intake, took valve cover bac off and rotated engine by hand that rocker nver moved, any ideas

·
Registered
2,761 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well the 1 rocker had a bent push rod isnt moving at all wen i turn the engine over does that mean the cam is shot as well? and wat does the poping out of the intake mean?

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
They pop out the intake when the valve does not get opened. I kinda doubt the cam is bad. Did that pushrod bend again right away? Is the lifter moving?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah all the push rods are in the rockers, gona get the head off her tonight and see if i just collapsed a lifter, but u guys dnt think the cam is bad?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh yeah wats a good place to pick up lifters?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Even with a collapsed lifter you should see minimal movement out of it. It may only jsut barely budge but it should move some. Oh and the other poster asked if you were sure the puwhrod was seated in the lifter and you responded that it was in the rocker. I'm not sure if that was a typo or you misread what was asked.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the head off and the lifter in question was full of shavings, I got all new lifters in, waiting for head gaskets to come in and should put her bac together

·
Registered
684 Posts
Does changing push rods require any machine work or do you just swap?

I have a d66 and comp 910 springs with stg II's. Sometimes when I get the motor tight its pushing over 30 lbs . I dont know how much more b/c my gauge only goes to 30lbs , but , sometimes it slaps the peg quick though . I am concerned that I might accidently over power the 910's . Am I being paranoid or does this happen? Somebody told me not to just buy some springs b/c everybody is doing it . I need to call someone like crower and give them specs to order springs. Am I flirting with disaster?

Sorry for the hijack , but , you guys were talkin valvetrain:blah:

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Does changing push rods require any machine work or do you just swap?

I have a d66 and comp 910 springs with stg II's. Sometimes when I get the motor tight its pushing over 30 lbs . I dont know how much more b/c my gauge only goes to 30lbs , but , sometimes it slaps the peg quick though . I am concerned that I might accidently over power the 910's . Am I being paranoid or does this happen? Somebody told me not to just buy some springs b/c everybody is doing it . I need to call someone like crower and give them specs to order springs. Am I flirting with disaster?

Sorry for the hijack , but , you guys were talkin valvetrain:blah:
Depends on your backpressure more than your boost. Typically the factory wastegate when disconnected (boost line) will allow the backpressure to force it open before you get to the danger zone with stock springs. If you are on an obs with a 1.15 housing, 30lbs of boost is safe with stock springs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts