Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the nation and needing some help. I have a 97 7.3 stock single cab drw with manual tranny. In gears 1 thru 4 i have little boost/ power. 5th gear or any gear I get over 2k rpms, i have decent power but not as stong as i think it should be. I'm in constructoin and pull anywhere from 7k to 20k lbs. I have bought but not installed a K&N COI and a 3" downpipe. Thinking of Edge Evo tuner. Not looking to spend a lot of money, but need to be able to pull a load.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
A stock 7.3 is about 175 hp at the tires so it isn't going to be a rocketship. An exhaust, intake and chip will put you at 225hp at the tires.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
A stock 7.3 is about 175 hp at the tires so it isn't going to be a rocketship. An exhaust, intake and chip will put you at 225hp at the tires.

In comparision, the new 400 hp diesels are probably putting out 320-340 hp stock at the tires figuring 15-20% powertrain loss.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
edge sucks dont do it. same with K&N.
use the K&N tube but put a napa 6637 on it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard most don't like the K&N. What's better about the 6637? Why not edge? What's going to be the better for the price? I'm just trying to get a few more ponies for the work truck not trying to spend a fortune.

·
Registered
558 Posts
K&N type filters use oil to trap the dirt, on a turbo engine will pull the dirt and oil right through it. Look at some of the site sponsors here for a custom tuned chip, you'll get better tuning and more selections. Your truck should pull 10k pretty easily, I would almost guarantee that you have exhaust up-pipe leaks which will kill performance.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
edge tunes suck. they increase the pulsewidth to the point that all you are doing is making smoke, I have an edge tow tune in my PCM from a previous owner.
lots of smoke, heat and no power

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
K&N type filters use oil to trap the dirt, on a turbo engine will pull the dirt and oil right through it. Look at some of the site sponsors here for a custom tuned chip, you'll get better tuning and more selections. Your truck should pull 10k pretty easily, I would almost guarantee that you have exhaust up-pipe leaks which will kill performance.
Thanks for the info. When you say exhaust up-pipe leak, what do you mean? Between air filter and exhaust? Turbo? I think I might have an injector problem and/ or something wrong with my wastegate also.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Thanks for the info. When you say exhaust up-pipe leak, what do you mean? Between air filter and exhaust? Turbo? I think I might have an injector problem and/ or something wrong with my wastegate also.
Up pipes are the pipes that carry the exhaust from the manifolds up to the turbo. They have donut gaskets that blow out over time and leak exhaust pre turbo, which robs you of power among other things. Also, your truck doesn't have a wastegate... why do you think you have an injector problem?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Check your engine for any leaks. What's your boost numbers? That would probably help. Gauges I would also recommend at least egt & boost. & custom tunes & exhaust & intake will make ur truck feel much better

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will agree about the K & N, but disagree about the Edge. I have been running mine for almost 200,000 miles now and it transforms it into a completely different truck, much more power and no noticeable smoke over stock.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
apples to oranges but
the edge tow tune that is in mine has 5ms of pulsewidth according to the torque app
my custom tunes from gearhead for my new injectors is under 2ms for most driving
edge makes my truck smoke like a dodge with the big injectors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm pretty sure my truck has a wastegate. i could be wrong. I have heard it once or twice sucking or blowing not sure which one, but the sound i've been told when a wastegate hangs up. I don't have any boost gauges, the truck is bone stock at the moment. how can I check for up-pipe leaks? I think i have injector problems b/c of low power at low RPMs and b/c of sludge i found in fuel bowl. Low power could be from low boost pressure but if it is I'm not sure where to look first without any gauges.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Sounds to me like either your ebpv is sticking closed or you have a pre turbo echaust leak. Or hell, you could have both going on. But unless there is some aftermarket wastegate or turbo on your truck, you do not have a wastegate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How can i , what's the best way to check for up-pipe leaks? I don't know any boost numbers, i don't have a gauge.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Sludge in fuel bowl means leaking injector o-rings
No it doesn't. Injector o rings push oil into the fuel, but that does not cause "sludge". Crap such as dirt, water, sand, bugs, etc gets into the fuel tank over the years, and obviously gets pulled into the fuel bowl, and collects at the bottom of it.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
If you have that shi* in the bowl then for sure your fpr screen is clogged.
Clean it with brake clean once removed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts