Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have low compression on this engine other then that still runs and drives great just blows white smoke on start up. Looking into rebuilding it myself or having it done. I got a quote from a shop for 6,000 for just the long block with Arp head studs but have also seen long blocks on U.S Engine Production inc. For 3500 for the long block. Has anyone used one of these? And if I do do it my selve what can I reuse stuff like the lifters and valves or is that not a good idea motor has 235xxx miles. Thanks

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,425 Posts
Have you actually compression tested the engine? White smoke on startup isn't hard evidence of low compression.

And you wouldnt need to reuse stuff like valves and lifters. Thats part of a "long block" package. You'd need to source your own injectors, hpop, turbo, up pipes, and stuff like that.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
My guess is your 7.3 is just fine and likely needs some upgrades / new injectors and or turbo work
235K is barely broken in for a 7.3
and you said it runs great when warm, this does not = low compression
Grey smoke until wamr is usually oil getting past the injectors or through the turbo seals

·
Registered
232 Posts
White gray smoke at start up could be oil gettin the cylinder warn injectors not spraying right or weak glow plugs. I would keep driving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
White Grey smoke could also be a few glow plugs out.... (pending how many are out and how long the white smoke lasts). I’d recommend plug it in for three hours and see if it smokes on start up.

j

Reactions: tjctransport
1 - 6 of 6 Posts