Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 7.3 HARD START BLOWS WHITE SMOKE WHILE CRANKING WHEN IT DOES CRANK IT FEELS LIKE IT IS RUNNING ON 3 CYLINDERS THEN CUTS OFF NO THROTTLE RESPONSE TOOK HIGH PRESSURE LINE OFF OF DRIVERS SIDE HEAD TO SEE IF IT HAD PRESSURE BUT IT HAD LITTLE FLOW IS THIS CAUSED BY THE HPOP

·
JFURNER77
404 Posts
There are various "no start" issues besides HPOP system. You can check the HPOP resevoir, but will need actual pressure readings. (1500 psi. warm, 2500 psi. cold) Do you have CEL?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PUT ON SCANNER NO DTCS I THOUGHT THAT THE HIGH PRESSURE LINE WOULD HAVE ALOT OF PRESSURE ON IT ENGINE WOULD START BUT WILL NOT START AT ALL NOW

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
UVCH=under valve cover harness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
checked both sides both has continuity through from connector to injectors and glo plugs checked harness going to valve cover gasket while spinning over has ground on 2 outside pins nothing on middle 3 pins while trying to crank should this have a pulse to open inj

·
Needing Carbon Credits
126 Posts
Did you inspect the plugs for burnt pins? You can have continunity while the truck is off but it will short out while it is running. If the truck starts I doubt your issue is oil related. I would start by pulling the valve covers and inspecting the harnesses. Also check the IDM for water. I think your issue is electrical. Do you still have white smoke while cranking?

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Do you have at least 500psi of HP oil when trying to start as that is manditory for it to fire?
Will it pass a buzz test.

·
JFURNER77
404 Posts
Check your private messages.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
checked gp relay and all is good getting juice to the two outside wires on the vc connector with key on checked all vc connectors all ok

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
have not actually checked oil pressure with gauge took high pressure line off at drivers side head spun over it just slightly poured out seemes to have no pressure

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
You should have a geiser coming out of the HPOP line if it is disconnected while cranking the engine. Sounds like your HPOP might be bad but you should reconnect the line and make or purchase a gauge to check the pressure at the head while cranking as stated several times above.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts