Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a 7.3 power stroke 1997 Ford f 450 the key goes into the ignition and the chime comes on but I go to turn and it won’t turn at all it’s stuck and won’t turn if that makes sense I’ve tried pulling the steering wheel I’ve tried spraying wd40 in it I’ve tried removing the entire ignition but I just can’t and nothing works

·
PSN intsigator
7,257 Posts
If you are using the right key, remove the ignition switch mounted to the column and try to turn your key. If it moves you got a bad ignition switch. If not you got a fight on your hands to get the key cylinder out. Best of luck

·
don't play well w others
4,600 Posts
Try turning the key over. Even though the key is cut double side there is only 1 set of tumblers
Try turning the steering wheel left or right a bit while trying to turn the key, the steering lock may be stuck.
Last, try having a copy made of the key, it may be worn to the point it is not pushing the tumblers in.

Removing the key cyl requires the key to be in the run position to pull out the cyl. Once in run you push the pin to release the cyl and pull it out.
If you can't get it in the run position the cylinder will have to be drilled out, or call a locksmith who can make a new key

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JustAFenceBuilder

·
Registered
434 Posts
the key goes into the ignition and the chime comes on but I go to turn and it won’t turn at all it’s stuck and won’t turn...
That's a perfect description of the wrong key. How long has it been since the key worked? How many Ford keys like that do you have?
...I’ve tried removing the entire ignition but I just can’t...
If you mean the lock cylinder - it only comes out when the key is in the RUN position.

Reactions: Dustybumpers
1 - 4 of 4 Posts