Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so this is my truck

its just a good ol truck 240k, at, its got a little bit of stuff but not much

its developed a fuel leak that comes and goes as it pleases with no rhyme or reason

heres what ive done: replace fuel filter w/ cap and gasket to spec ft/lbs
new o rings on fuel filter drain

what i know: fuel is in the valley but leak is not visable
fuel mileage will be 20 one day then it will start leaking and be at 3-4 mpg and then go away
the truck is driven on construction sites and dirt roads every day
recent filter and fluid changes and no power losses

please help im ready to shoot this old gal:bowfast::bowfast:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
modifications include skycrapper nitro shocks, 2" leveling aals up front, 265 bfg ats, front hidden hitch, hideaway gooseneck hitch,bully dog 6 position chip, k&n drop in, ramsey patriot 9500 w/ font and rear hook ups
snoopytrack, vhf radio, cb radio, toolbox dog box
thats an old picture

recent repairs include 2 new industrial batteries, starter, a/c compressor, rebuilt injectors(stock), tres, new glow plug wiring harnesses and valvecover gaskets, new fuel sensor(forget the name its one the side of the fuel filter, as it was clogged)

·
HHAUL'N STROKER
1,574 Posts
Like Rob said I would check you fuel lines in the valley going from the pump to the filter and such. Ive seen a cracked fuel filter cover do this also.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Mine was leaking badly from the fuel bowl heater. I pulled the bowl and replaced the heater with an 1/8inch pipe plug.

I bought a 20 dollar kit that has the rubber fuel lines and o-rings you would need to rebuild the bowl.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Banjo o-rings? Mine would leak worse some days than others and it was my leak. I have done enough of them that I just keep a set around instead of waiting for ford to get them to me! Not bad if you have some patience and cool tools, turbo can stay on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
its most likely the fuel pump, iv seen a couple that have left a huge fuel pudddle in the valey

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did some digging and found a hose clamp lose on the lower hose from the fuel pump but all the hoses look original and are dry rotting... is it a special type of hose or is generic fuel hose good for the job?

thanks again for all the help

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
You can get precut blue hose pieces from Ford for about $20. You can also use high pressure fuel injection hose (SAE 30R9). Parts:

Fuel PumpHoses
(Ford) F4TZ-9324-BA (Black Hose, 1 required)
(Ford) F4TZ-9324-CA (Longer Blue Hose, 1 required)
(Ford) F4TZ-9324-DA (Shorter Blue Hose, 2 required)
(Aeroquip) FC498-06 (Blue Hose)

Cheers!

·
PowwwerSTROKIN'
21 Posts
Banjo o-rings? Mine would leak worse some days than others and it was my leak. I have done enough of them that I just keep a set around instead of waiting for ford to get them to me! Not bad if you have some patience and cool tools, turbo can stay on.

what do you use to keep the turbo on? crows foot? i need to check my fuel leak in the valley.... however i really dont want to remove the turbo

·
Grizz
76 Posts
I had a phantom leak. ended up being my gasket on my fuel filter cap just wasnt seated right. maybe check your drain valve on the fuel bowl see if its leaking or something. Or like others have said the fuel lines going in and out of the fuel bowl

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I used a snap on 3/8" drive ratchet that is just the head and you can put another 3/8" ratchet and you cab get some really crazy angles on stuff not other wise easily accomplished. You could just use a wrench that's big enough but seems like you can only get it on there to move it once! Either way you'll need some patince to figure out the right combo of tools. After you get them off the first time it's pretty easy. Last ones I did took bout 20 minutes

·
Registered
89 Posts
i had a pin hole form in my fuel bowl and start shooting fuel out. had to replace fuel bowl.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Didn't have a wrench big enough but I had a socket! That's all. I also had to replace a fuel bowl on a customers 96 that sprung a big leak at once! Size of a pencil end

·
strokefreak
353 Posts
if you pull the banjo bolt,does the engine lose prime? if so how do iget back? i have a leak from the banjo bolt area. dealership said they cant do it for at least a week.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
if you pull the banjo bolt,does the engine lose prime? if so how do iget back? i have a leak from the banjo bolt area. dealership said they cant do it for at least a week.
Don't worry about it, the fuel pump moves enough fuel that it will not take long for it to fire and start. It does not need to "prime". I just did it a couple of weeks ago along with a new pump, banjo crush washers, rubber fuel lines, and o-rings in the fuel bowl. Oh I also had to plug the fuel bowl heater. Hopefully I have gotten all of my leaks fixed. I couldn't use the heater or air conditioning at idle because it would fumigate the cab with diesel.

·
strokefreak
353 Posts
thanx!

·
PowwwerSTROKIN'
21 Posts
Im in the midst of changing my fuel pump... and thanks for everyones info...
however you say you use a socket on that banjo bolt?? how in the hell can you fit a socket down there with the turbo in the way?

anywho... waiting on an extension to arrive so i pull the old lines and pump out...

i bought new fuel lines... but its looking like im goin to have to remove the turbo to run them... being that they are the steel ones....

any ideas on how to run them... or can i cut them in the middle and put some rubber hose or something under the turbo?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts