Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, had a hard time removing the side fill plug. So I removed the shifter and will fill it from the top (after defeating a stripped allen head bolt -what were they think using allen heads).

Anyway, is five quarts through the top too much? 6? 7? I know it is suposed to take about 3.5 from the side, but heard it will quiet it down to overfill from the top.

I am using mobil 1 full synthetic atf.

Any concerns with overfilling? Overpressurization? Seal leaks? It would be nice to dampen the rollover noise some.

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,489 Posts
4 qts is plenty. I wouldn't overfill it; they put that spec there for a reason.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats kinda what I was thinking, though the spec could have come from where they needed to put the fill plug. I know some guys have put as much as 8 qts in. It is supposed to quiet it down but I have never heard feedback from the guys who put extra in.

I dont get why the fill plugs are so hard to remove. I was flexing a two foot breaker bar and with the aluminum case just decided to quit. The spec on that plug is only 44ftlb!

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Agreed 4 quarts is the number as I recall. Mobile 1 full synthetic is good, however I have used Redline MTF (which I think is full synthetic too) with excellent results. In fact it resolved a problem with 2nd gear synchroes and extended need for rebuild for alt least a year. My ZF rebuilder couldn’t believe the difference and he used it afterwards on his rebuilds.

j

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
It's 3.2 quarts at the fill plug. So four quarts is a slight overfill, and I've read varying opinions about that. I sure wouldn't go with any more.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so here is what I did. I put in 5 quarts of mobil1 and a half quart of lucas synthetic oil stabilizer. It is much much quieter on the rollover noise, and shifts better than ever, though it has always shifted pretty good. I took it for a test spin, nothing of note so far. It has a tiny seep were the case halves come together (has had that awhile) and I will watch that to see if it gets worse due to the overfill. Its a huge case so there is still plenty of air in there. Ill report back if anything bad happens lol but so far a big improvement on noise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts