Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last e4od burned up the torque converter and overheated badly. My cousin gave me a running 4r100 and after searching the forums it seemed to be an easy swap with the help of the tci valve body performance kit. Installed the kit but had to use the 4r100 converter. Installed in the truck and ran it. The transmission at idle in gear surges between being in gear and out of gear. Both in drive and reverse. Doesn’t make a difference whether in d or 1 or 2. Is it from the 4r100 converter or something else? The kit said to use an e4od converter otherwise it could have slipping feel between shifts. But once moving down the road it shifts fine. Only have problem at idle stopped. Seems like maybe a pressure issue?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
It does seem like a pressure issue. Low trans fluid can do this. So could a loose internal filter.

The 4R100 and E4OD converters are almost identical. They will interchange with no problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, what about a leaking cooling line fitting? I’ve slowed it to a dribble but the threads are stripped out and I need to helicoil it. It is the forward fitting into the trans. I’m not certain of the flow of oil of autos but does it go to the cooler then pan? Or does it go to the system?

·
PSN intsigator
6,843 Posts
IIRC the forward line is from trans to cooler, rear is from cooler back to trans

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
The front fitting goes to the cooler. The return from the cooler goes to the rear fitting, where it is used to lube the rear half of the trans. From there it is dumped to the pan.

Reactions: heavydoc
1 - 5 of 5 Posts