Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving the other night. My fiance and i agreed that my lights are too dim. i use my brights all the time, and never get flashed. I have moisture in one of them, and the other is dull. I restored them with the Mothers Powerball 4 Lites, and it helped a little. Now, when i pull the headlight wand/stalk back, it appears the Lows and the Highs are on... is there a way to make it stay like that when i turn my highs on? I know my old Chevy S10 Blazer did it if you grounded a wire... (2003 Blazer)

:psn:

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Really the right way to do it is to replace your worn out dull lenses with some new ones and get rid of the leaks. But if you want both the high and low beams on at the same time go onto a couple other forums and do a search for the bright box mod. You have to place a diode into you headlight harness someway to get it to work. Or you can upgrade your headlight harness and go to some larger wattage bulbs for more light.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
There is a way to make the lows and highs stay on all the time, but a better option is to build/buy a relay setup so that the headlights get full power from the batteries. As it is now, there is voltage drop as power passes into the cab, through the headlight switch and dimmer, and then back out to the headlights. A relay solves that.

Add new headlight lenses to your list as well.

·
OBS Addict
1,350 Posts
55w 5000k HIDs from Retro & all clear lights from Complete Performance

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, guys! I was thinking about HID's but i dont really want to be blinding people when they drive by. My Jeep i have HID high beams, and Silverstar low beams. so when i need to dim them, i just flip back to normal low beam (i changed it since then, HID low and stock High) I wish i could do this with the Powerstroke but its one bulb... I will be getting new headlight lenses but not the ricer looking projectors. I will be getting crystal clean turn signals like in the Post ( i believe diesel_brad started it... i could be wrong) if they come available. If not, ill black out my lower lense, and put a red LED in the side marker.

I may do the harness as well. Where is the best place to get new lenses for a good price? (not cheap, but more on the inexpensive side. Aftermarket is A-OKAY. Im not a fan of spending twice as much from a stealer... i mean Dealer...)

·
<---Peggy Sue
842 Posts
i got mine on ebay from ipexmotoring they are clean and are as good of quality as oem. i have 120 in the set and they came with headlight bulbs

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
before i purchase new ones, ill try wetsanding them with 4 various grits of sand paper. since it came with the Mothers Powerball kit, i might as well try. it worked on my jeep. they were so bad you couldnt even tell there were bulbs in the headlight housings!

·
STILL LEARNING
18,329 Posts
The problem with wet sanding and buffing is, you take away the UV protection that was on them and they yellow and fad out in a month.

I got my pair on new lights(came with bulbs) from here
Headlight Headlamp Assembly Pair Set Both Driver Passenger Side Left+Right LH+RH | eBay
havent installed them yet, but they appear to be of decent quality. The dealer wanted $89 per side.

If you read my thread, you will see that the Harness made a HUGE improvement. As for HIDs, there are illegal

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$89 a side!!?? thats outrageous... I did read most of the way through your thread, and i saw that they made a large improvement. HID's being illegal, i havent confirmed that, thats why i was considering them. I honestly dont think i would get bothered for them but why risk, right?

·
OBS Addict
1,350 Posts
Check your local laws with the red led markers in the front, depending on the state they may be illegal. Here in oregon it's Amber/Clear forward and side facing, and Red rear facing only.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,329 Posts
$89 a side!!?? thats outrageous... I did read most of the way through your thread, and i saw that they made a large improvement. HID's being illegal, i havent confirmed that, thats why i was considering them. I honestly dont think i would get bothered for them but why risk, right?
HIDs are illegal in ANYTHING that did NOT come from the factory with them

·
Registered
667 Posts
I was thinking about HID's but i dont really want to be blinding people when they drive by.
:bowfast:THANK YOU:bowfast: for actually caring about your fellow drivers. i would love to take a baseball bat to EVERY HID head light i see.

·
OBS Addict
1,350 Posts
HIDs are illegal in ANYTHING that did NOT come from the factory with them
Thought that depended on the state. They don't care here, even a couple cop cars have them retro-fitted

:bowfast:THANK YOU:bowfast: for actually caring about your fellow drivers. i would love to take a baseball bat to EVERY HID head light i see.
Means they're not aimed right. If aimed properly they're the same as normal low beams to an oncoming car with just a whiter/blueish light.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have decided, that i will just polish mine up for now, but in the future i will be getting new lenses, the relay harness, and new bulbs. Any particular bulb better than the others? Silverstars... etc?

I have seen several people put SD fog lights on an OBS... anyone ever do RIGID Industries Dually lights? ( Dually ) I kinda thought these might be better, but not for street use unless they are aimed down to the pavement. Again, dont wanna blind everybody.

I will not do HID lights, I WILL check on the red side marker. either way, ill put an LED in it so when the light is NOT on, you cant see the amber. Thats my goal in the end.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have decided, that i will just polish mine up for now, but in the future i will be getting new lenses, the relay harness, and new bulbs. Any particular bulb better than the others? Silverstars... etc?

I have seen several people put SD fog lights on an OBS... anyone ever do RIGID Industries Dually lights? ( Dually ) I kinda thought these might be better, but not for street use unless they are aimed down to the pavement. Again, dont wanna blind everybody.

I will not do HID lights, I WILL check on the red side marker. either way, ill put an LED in it so when the light is NOT on, you cant see the amber. Thats my goal in the end.

Thanks for the replies!
I have to ask, what do you consider the difference for all the cars which have oem HIDs vs retrofit kits?

·
OBS Addict
1,350 Posts
I have amber LEDs in my side markers, and I will say that LEDs were the best upgrade I ever did to my running lights.

·
f250 fan
77 Posts
I have amber LEDs in my side markers, and I will say that LEDs were the best upgrade I ever did to my running lights.
how are those LEDs holding up? im looking to do that conversion. also HIDs are legal in Oregon (if there not then the cops dont care), iv been running them for a year and cops will walk/drive right by and not even take a 2nd look.

·
OBS Addict
1,350 Posts
Holding up great, Only one's that burned out for some reason where my license plate lights, but I'll figure out why on that one soon. I think I used cheap LEDs in there if I remember right

1 - 20 of 43 Posts