Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I think I may have figured it out. Plug on the valve cover was bad. Waiting on the new plug to show up tomorrow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Changed the plug and still no fire. Anyone who can help, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thought I was looking at MY truck when I saw your profile pic- good looking ride.

Anyways you need to inspect your UVCH (under valve cover harness) as well as the VC gasket where the electric connections pass through.

I have the same- cranky but no starty- for over a month now. I will be following your thread as I am doing with many right now- I believe mine is electrical gremlins so I am in the process of cleaning the electrical connections on everything under the hood- May take a little while but not any $$$ right now, just time. And I'll know positive sure that all the electrical in the engine area will have good connections. Both ends!!!

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
okay so at first you said the HPOP was empty? Why?
Now you say its full? Did you fill it or did it fill itself?

Fuel bowl is full of clean green diesel or is it black?

Do you get the wait to start light?

Make sure you give an answer to each question, there is a reason behind each one.
Been through this a few times myself, these guys are very good at helping you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
First, I assumed it drained on the first no crank. So i filled it up. It has drained since get but only when I was trying to start it. Each time i refilled it.
Right now, I'm changing the 4 plugs on the vc gaskets and going through all the wires on that harness.
Wts light does come on.
After I get through all the wires ( hopefully tonight ) I'll plug it back up and go from there.
I'm considering an obd2 scanner if anyone has any suggestions.
Also thanks for liking the truck, he's a beast. Can't wait to get back behind the wheel.
Thanks again for the help.

·
PSN intsigator
6,273 Posts
First, I assumed it drained on the first no crank. So i filled it up. It has drained since get but only when I was trying to start it. Each time i refilled it.

Right now, I'm changing the 4 plugs on the vc gaskets and going through all the wires on that harness.

Wts light does come on.

After I get through all the wires ( hopefully tonight ) I'll plug it back up and go from there.

I'm considering an obd2 scanner if anyone has any suggestions.

Also thanks for liking the truck, he's a beast. Can't wait to get back behind the wheel.

Thanks again for the help.
Finally got the answer to the hpop reservoir question I asked back in the second post.

The reservoir should not be emptying during cranking cycles. You need to verify the low pressure oil pump is working. Even still when you fill it up that should be enough oil to start it.

I think at this point I would fill the reservoir pull the valve covers and crank it with a remote start button and watch the injectors to see if 1 or more is dumping the oil. It will be very noticeable. They should be giving little squirts of oil out.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
The HPOP not filling with oil has these guys worried you don't have oil pressure from the pump in the oil pan
The hpop gets its oil from the 15 quarts in the crankcase, it should be full to within 1" of the top
If it has no oil in it then it cannot create the 3000+ psi needed to inject the fuel
If it is not full then it is likely draining right through to somewhere else like out through the plug in the head under the valve cover or right past the injector O rings.... the low pressure oil pump (again in the oil pan) should be filling the hpop

disclaimer:
that is off the top of my head so if Im wrong hopefully somebody will correct me I have just been driving my 97 for 2+ years now not had to do much else! yeah!

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Does the IPR have 12V on it when the key is in RUN? The oil will dump back to the pan if the IPR is not working. The LP pump can also cause the reservoir not to fill. Bad injector O-rings can cause an inability to build enough pressure as can a missing LP oil pressure regulator (usually due to it falling out unnoticed when changing oil cooler O-rings). Crank it with the reservoir filled and valvecovers off to see if oil is leaking out around the injector to head interface. Cheers!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks for all the info. The cold is gonna give way this weekend to some more workable temps. I'll get the harness back on and try these suggestions out. I'll get back with yall then. Thanks again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ok, the hpop is not filling up so it looks like it may be time for a real diesel mechanic to take a look at it. I'll learn from what they figure out.

Thank yall for all your help , I did learn alot. I just ain't got time right now to keep messing with it. Gonna put it in the shop and get back to our cj5. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
As there only 5k miles on this engine, ensure you check the Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR) voltage as Patrick has suggested. It’s the 2 wire electric plug that is in front of the fuel bowl and on the rear side of the High Pressure Oil Pump, driver’s side. It will have a little steel wire bale on it to keep connected. Flip the bale off and check to see if the o-ring plug seal is installed properly. On all e-connections on my truck get quality dielectric grease on connecting pins. Next check just rearward and below this IPR Plug should be a cheesy little tin nut on the back of the IPR, this needs to be snug, be careful not to strip it, sometimes they’ll fall off.
j

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Got it to the shop a couple of weeks ago. The low pressure pump was bad causing the high pressure reservoir to starve causing it to go out. Got the low pressure pump changed and now waiting to hear from the mechanic if that fixed it. I'll write more when I get it home. Hopefully tomorrow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Got him home today! Got both pumps replaced and new ipr. Runs like the beast he is. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Glad to hear you got 'the beast' going. I finally got mine fixed by replacing the PCM- thanks Tom Horn.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yeah, it cost a little bit. But well worth it. Gonna do his first oil change this weekend. Just passed 5000 on the new motor.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts