Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got the motor out of a 98 ford cabover boxtruck that had air brakes.
how expensive is this gonna get? and will my e4od last behind it?

·
compresion ignition adict
209 Posts
If you already have the motor... and trans id be looking at spending another 3-5k in parts depending on where you get them... The little things are what make the swap the most expensive... look at destroked.com for you adapters and such. As far as the E40D, im not sure.... the farthest my knowlege goes is that particular trans was not origionaly meant for heavy duty use and thats when ford went to the 4r100.... so ive been told the 4R can be made to be a prety tough tranny... I went the standard route and converted my auto to a manual ZF6... hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 5.9 currently has a 6 speed eaton trans behind it.Thats what it had in the box truck.Is there any posibility in using it?It looks too big and heavy, but maybe im wrong.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
If im wrong about the E40D someone please correct me because i dont want to be giving false info :blah:
From what i understand, the 4r isn't that much better than the E4OD in stock form, and both trannies can be built to withstand some high horsepower or heavy duty towing.

Tony as far as the Eaton, I'm not sure, you would have to talk to someone who has seen the two trannies sidebyside to know if that will fit up under there comfortably. Sorry if I am no help.

·
Davey B
930 Posts
The e4 can be built to take some abuse or you can also swap in a 4r in its place. As said before, destroked is a good place to call, they can give you an idea of how much everything will cost

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool,thanks all.adapter plate and mounts are alot.i am looking for someone that might have parts from an abandoned project i could use.

·
compresion ignition adict
209 Posts
you could use a divorced t-case behind the eaton. the only thing i have left from my swap is a cranck spacer if you were gona use a zf6. Keep your eyes open, you never know what youll find.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks,definatelly got my eyes open for parts all the time.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, i need a tranny for it now too and i found a running 97 dually with 100,000 miles so it looks like the 12 valve isnt going in after all.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im keeping an eye out for something to put it in,however i am open to offers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts