Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am swapping my 60 into my 97 f250 and have a couple of questions about what all you guys recommend I do while it's apart. First of all, I think my bearings are ok, but is there a rule of thumb to tell? Also, I want to clean out all of the grease, and re-pack my bearings. after that, how much grease should be in the hub? As much as it will hold? And is the grease seal in the back of the hub the only other thing I should worry about replacing when I put it back together? Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
290 Posts
if you have any scoring or pitting in the rollers of the bearings they are junk. if they are smooth your fine.

yeah, get a new grease seal, pack up the bearings, and throw a lil grease on all the 4x4 hub parts when your assembling the lockers. you dont need to fill it. just make sure everythings lubed up.

·
Shortbus driver
223 Posts
Take off the spindles (might be very difficult) and clean and neverseize. Do it now, or it will be even more difficult later. Replace or toss your dust shields while you are at it. Check your u-joints.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Take off the spindles (might be very difficult) and clean and neverseize. Do it now, or it will be even more difficult later. Replace or toss your dust shields while you are at it. Check your u-joints.
yeah if you have access to a air hammer, it will help a ton in spindle remover. harbor freight has a decent one that comes with 9 bits for $15. its not the most powerful thing ever made, but good enough to get the job done.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Open up the center section, remove carrier and replace the inner axle seals with the updated version. The new version is a Scottseal type. Sorry don't have the part number off hand. I think they are the Super Duty version. You will need to make a tool to install them. Check in the Dana 60 section in my pics.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Shortbus driver
223 Posts
You can do it with a couple of hammers. Penetrating fluid goes without saying.

Disconnect the tie-rod so you can swing the knuckle right over. Get the head of a ball-peen hammer in there against the back of the spindle. Pound on the ballpeen with a 3-5# sledge. Alternate fore and aft sides of the knuckle. Switch up to a drift/punch once you have it moving and need more precision.

I improvised a slide-hammer setup and wailed away much longer than I had energy for. No results.

Air is probably the easiest, but I'm not setup here at home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts