Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 F250 that has had intermittent starting issues recently and was wondering if anyone has experienced the same issue. Everything powers up correctly when the key is turned to acc mode while the glow plugs warm. When I turn the key to start nothing happens and all the interior lights go dark. (Im aware they go dark because it is sending all the power to the starter.) No click from the starter or anything. I will typically run the shifter through the gears (automatic) and use the key fob to arm and disarm the aftermarket alarm to troubleshoot. Sometimes I can get it to start up within the minute and sometimes, like today, it takes an hour to let the truck sit before it will start. I have never been able to narrow it down to a specific remedy. The only thing I've noticed is that it takes a random undisclosed amount of time before it will start up. It doesn't typically happen the first start of the day, its usually when I'm trying to leave a store. 95% of the time it starts great, it just likes to be a pain in the ass occasionally. I guess that's what 25 years and 350k will do to you.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
What happens if you try to start in Neutral? I would have both batteries tested independent from one another. Inspect all (not just battery side) battery cable ends for cleanliness and tightness. Have the starter checked. Check the relay on the passenger side inner fender. Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What happens if you try to start in Neutral? I would have both batteries tested independent from one another. Inspect all (not just battery side) battery cable ends for cleanliness and tightness. Have the starter checked. Check the relay on the passenger side inner fender. Cheers!
I tried starting in neutral and it made no difference. Both batteries are new (within a month) so I don't think they are the issue and it was happening before the new batteries. I will check the cables and starter in the morning. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried starting in neutral and it made no difference. Both batteries are new (within a month) so I don't think they are the issue and it was happening before the new batteries. I will check the cables and starter in the morning. Thanks for the help!
Maybe check the wires on your starter solenoid? I was having similar issues. A wire wasn't making good contact

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
check the battery cables for continuity also. they cn look good from the outside, but be so corroded inside the jacket that they just barely let power flow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts