Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I’m new here so sorry for any incorrect formatting.

I have a 96 7.3 Powerstroke, all stock, with an intermittent miss. Truck starts fine hot or cold, misses immediately on revving at all RPM but worst between 1200-2000. Also intermittently misses at run and idle.
I’ve scanned with the Matco Maximus scanner and Snap-on Solos scanner. No codes, buzz test came up fine, cylinder contribution was good.
Changed UVC harnesses, no change. Changed the fuel filter (the old one looked brand new, bowl completely spotless) no change. Changed ICP sensor, no change. Changed crank sensor, no change. Removed all injectors and replaced O-rings, checked shim, checked torque on poppet screws, no change. Ran truck without valve covers and unplugged each injector from UVC harness individually and in combination with each other, no change (couldn’t locate misfire). Completely stripped wiring harness down, changed UVC plugs, no change. Changed with wiring harness from a properly running truck, no change. Changed crank sensor with new part 2 more times, no change. Unplugged ICP sensor while running, fixed miss for 5 seconds and returned to no change. I've taken out the crank sensor and I’m going to borescope it while cranking to see if the tone ring is damaged, my brother told me to try that. But honestly I’m pretty stuck and I don’t know what else it could be. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot, I also changed the IPR sensor out with an old one I had that was still good. I didn’t take anything off to get to it, just jammed my hands in there because I was lazy, and it was a dirty b to get that little tin nut back on. So I hope it isn’t that. I don’t want to do that again, I burned my finger on a fuel line because I have no patience.

·
Registered
1997 F-350 CCLB 7.Tree
438 Posts
So it sounds to me like it could be a fuel issue. Here are some of the items I think it could be.

-plugged screens in the tank, or possibly a broken pickup foot. Does this happen with a full tank of fuel?

-low fuel pressure, from a dirty filter or fouled pressure regulator

-UVCH issues (even though you said you checked it)

-chip issues. If you have one, unplug it.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Automatic or Manual Trans? If manual does it still have the factory Dual Mass FlyWheel (DMFW)? Cheers!

Reactions: Mello

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it sounds to me like it could be a fuel issue. Here are some of the items I think it could be.

-plugged screens in the tank, or possibly a broken pickup foot. Does this happen with a full tank of fuel?

-low fuel pressure, from a dirty filter or fouled pressure regulator

-UVCH issues (even though you said you checked it)

-chip issues. If you have one, unplug it.
It doesn’t change with the fuel level but we will check the screens and pickup foot in a few days. I also noticed some mouse droppings by the computer wiring so I’m going to drop the inner fender liner on the drivers side to check for additional damage/chewing/chafing on the wires. Fuel pressure is fine, and we have unwrapped/ohms/new pigtails and re wrapped the wiring harnesses. UVCHs are brand new as stated. No chip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts