Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes cold or hot I have to spray my truck to get it to start and I live in Florida. My glow plugs are working has a new fuel pump, filter is new as well. It does this cold or hot, but sometimes it’ll start for two weeks straight and other times I have to spray it every time. Anyone ever had this problem?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
How do you know the plugs are working? White smoke when cranking? For checking the injector/glowplug wiring: From each valvecover gasket connection's outermost pins (2 per connector) to ground you should get 0.1 to 2 ohms (indicates good plug and wiring). From each valvecover gasket connection's center pin to each immediately adjacent pin, you should get around 3 ohms (indicates good injector solenoid and wiring). You should not get any continuity from any of the outer pins to the 3 inner pins (indicates no shorts between injector and glowplug wiring). You should also get 0 to 1 ohms from each of the external harness connectors outer pins back to the Glowplug Relay's large terminal on the GP side (indicates good wiring from external connections back to the relay).

To check the glowplug relay (GPR), measure the voltage drop across the GPR's large terminals. While the GPR is active (up to 1.5 to 2 minutes after the key is turned to Wait-to-Start) put your meter leads on the large terminals (one lead on one large terminal and the other lead on the other large terminal). The measures how much voltage is being "lost" across the relay. A reading of 0.3V or more indicates a bad relay. Also, check the relay’s control wires (smaller wires) disconnected from the relay for battery voltage at the Red/Light Green striped wire and ground at the Purple/Orange striped wire (check both when the key is turned to Wait-to-Start).
Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not even getting white smoke outta the exhaust, but when I spray it it acts like it ran outta fuel it take about three second to catch up and then it’ll pull a house over. It never dies once it starts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts