Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to this forum. And I just picked up my first 7.3 powerstroke, now I'm not brand new to these b.c a company I used to work for had a small fleet and I used to do the maintenence and easy repairs on them. This one I picked up is the first I personally own.
Anyway I bought it to start my electrical buisness. 95 e350 powerstroke with only 102k miles on her, starts up and runs/ drives great. Needs all new brake lines and some body rot fixed otherwise she's a super solid runner. I'm just wondering a few things and appreciate any help.
I would like to do a trans service anything special I should know?
Anybody have any secrets regarding redoing all the brake lines?
Best, cheapest way to fix the rot? ( van is getting wraps so doesn't need to be show quality)
Started looking into programmers and turbo back exhaust, anyone have a setup I can copy that looks and sounds nice and functional/ won't break the bank?

Sorry for the life story but thanks for any help

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Dennis! Congrats on the PSD and with 102k it should run strong. You didn't mention what maintenance had been accomplished but the Van could have been assembled as early as 1994 - 20 years ago! I would suggest finding out about the Glow Plugs/Relay, Fuel Bowl and Oil Cooler before spending the cash on performance mods - just my 2¢. My '97 Van needed Glow Plugs at about 125 - 130k and Oil Cooler was hanging in there but looking marginal. My Engine was built in June 1996 and Van was assembled in Aug 1996. The date stamped on the DS door is 1992! Built in Lorain, OH. Hope this is received in the spirit it is sent - sharing an experience. Good Luck with your new business - Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The previous owner did glow plugs & injector harness shortly after buying @96k. As far as oil cooler goes what do I look for with that?
Otherwise it just needs brake lines which I am replacing when I have time slowly but surely. Also going to do fresh fluids in trans with some Lucas and new filter. Oil change, and coolant looks good. Come spring I'll charge the ac. But other then that mechanically she is sound and starts/runs/drives like my 05 e350 gas for work! Maybe better!
.only other issue is body rot in front and back of rear wheel wells but have a body guy that is a great friend to take of that, then going to get it wraped.
So would there being anything I need to know about doing a 4" turbo back exhuast for a van? Or useing the ts 6 position switch? That's all I'm looking to do to it little more power to tow my trailers and sound good and better gas milage when driving to and from jobs

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dennis,

Congrats on the new to you van! Since the glow plugs were addressed along with the injectors harness prior to purchase, i think you should be ok. Beware that your glow plug relay may also crap out on you if you have an original as that is also known to be a common problem. I would change out all the fluids in the trans, rear differential, engine and cooling system and change out the oil and fuel filter. Looks like you have that covered though. Not sure where you live but check your batteries and starter if you live in a cold climate during the winter season. I would also look at keeping a spare cam position sensor with you as they have been known to randomly go bad which can leave you stranded. Its about $30 bucks from International (T44E Engine). Inspect your hoses from cracks too. This includes your coolant, fuel, and turbo hoses in additiona to the up-pipes on the rear of the motor. The donut gaskets can leak giving you low boost and poor fuel economy. An indicator for this would be soot around the pipes. Supension wise, inspect your shocks and check out your ball joints for play. The 7.3's weight up front can wear them out pretty quickly. Other than that, I think you got it covered.

Once you are up to par with the maintenance, go ahead and put a diamond eye 4" exhaust on there (which I am also looking to do soon) and a pyrometer to watch your egts since you plan to tow. Tuner wise, i was thinking of going with a dp tuner to get a bump in power along with better fuel economy but I know people have used TS 6 position chip with no problem as well. Hope that helps, enjoy the new beast!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes all that you have mentioned is already or going to be covered! I used to do maintenence on these I. The van body so I know they can be tight and temper mental here in The cold here In jeresey.
Very nice for the performance input thanks alot!
I can't help it I'm a gear head and can't leave it alone! Any ideas on cold air intake for a van? I looked at pics of them for pickups but idk if it'll work in a van?

·
Registered
21 Posts
not much info on the cold air intake w/o fabbing up/relocating components inside the engine bay. One idea was a "T" adapter at the end of a 4" pipe going to the turbo inlet. At the "T" were 2 cone air filters which sat where the OEM airbox was. Another idea was removing the passenger side battery to the frame and fabbing up a pipe going from the battery to the turbo inlet with a cone air filter where the passenger battery was. either way, it is tough to make room for a CAI as everything in the engine bay on the van is tight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah ok I see, that's kind of what I thought. I'll just fab something up eventually.
Well I guess for now I'll keep my eyes open for a programmer and exhuast ( would like to try and find used if possible but I'm sure it's tough for a van)
This September at Englishtown Raceway Park every yr they have the diesel nationals. I go every yr since I was a kid, but never had my own. So I'm trying to have it wraped and done for that!

·
Registered
21 Posts
nice! keep in mind that most mbrp or diamond eye p/u truck exahusts also fit on the vans but the hanger locations may have to be cut and relocated....another option if you are looking at geting something used.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi! Sorry for delayed reply, had trouble finding this photo. The Oil Cooler will usually start to leak from the Tube-to-End Cap join (Front &/or, Rear), or the OC attachment to the Block. This is a photo of the Rear End Cap - notice how close the discoloration of the gasket area is to the Oil exit (top) and it's getting real close to the Water exit. I caught this before any leaks started. Van had 175k of mostly highway miles. The most difficult part of the rebuild was the Rear End Cap - next time I will sand smooth (and thoroughly Clean) the inside of the Rear End Cap entrance lip to match the condition of the Front End Cap, which was fine. It got really pitted from road salt accumulation over the years. Used White Lithium grease too lube the O-rings and a 6 foot ratcheting tie-down strap to pull the assembly together. I am sure you will like your Van, it's a Great Vehicle. Steve.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts