Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 f350 with the 7.3. When you accelerate it makes a squealing noise. I have allready replaced the belt and the tensioner. I am thinking it may be my vacuum pump?? Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does it change when turning or with the a/c on. Pull the belt and check all the pulleys for play or binding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have pulled the belt and checked all the pulleys and cant find anything wrong. All that I have noticed is that the vacuum pump is a little tough to turn but it may be normal?? I really don't have a clue. It only does it on when the rpms is above 2K or when you down shift. It doesnt change when you turn the wheels.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
could be the pump-- is there any oily substance around the shaft area? when a vac pump fails, it happens quickly.

·
Canadian Eh
675 Posts
could be the pump-- is there any oily substance around the shaft area? when a vac pump fails, it happens quickly.
:whs:
I stopped at one stop sign and brakes were fine, stopped at the next and nothing. It had been making some noise for about a week. Only took an hour to change but need a pulley removal and installation tool.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took the pump off and appears that it is in good working order but when it starts squealing you can spray a little wd40 on the pump pully and it will quieting down until it dries up then it starts back so I am off to advanced auto to get a new pump and another new belt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have chaged the Vacuum pump and the water pump and clutch fan and it stills squeals. It usually starts at 2200 rpms and will continue until around 3000 rpms and once it has stopped it quit until you park it and leave out again. I have no idea what it is. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Take the belt of and clean all pullies with a wire brush. I had a issue where i was chewing up belts every 6 months. Some of the grooved pullies had some build up in them after i cleaned it have had no more issues for almost 2 years

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on my belt problem. It seems to get worse as the temperature drops and as it warms up on in the day it seems like it goes away. I have checked the groves on my pullies and they are in good shape. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would try what Zrock said about the pulleys, I had a buddy with an older chevy pickup that would do the same thing when you accelerate hard. He said that the pulleys just needed to be cleaned, I think he used some sand paper but I'm not sure. But I bet a wire brush to them would help

·
One Stroke @ a Time
268 Posts
Are you sure its the belt squealing and not an idler pulley? With out seeing it, it sounds like you have an idler that is making noise. Also does the AC work in the truck? Try unplugging the AC compressor and see if it still does it. You may have an AC clutch that's locking up. Or have someone else rev it for you and/or cut on the AC or defrost and watch the AC clutch to see if its functioning properly.

·
PSN Lurker
47 Posts
I had the same issue. Replaced all the pulleys and parts. Never got rid of my squeal. I tried new belt after new belt. Finally tried the goodyear 4081190 and my squeal went away.

·
96 obs psd cc lb 4x4
6 Posts
I've been fighting a lot of belt problems myself lately make sure your water pump doesn't have a little siv leak anywhere cause it can be hard to find and will drive you insane

1 - 14 of 14 Posts