Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, I've got a 95 F250 4 wheel drive with the 76.3 powerstroke, the truck is bone stock. It was an old farmers before i got it and he told me everything was perfect. so i've done little stuff like rear brakes, rear axle seals, steering gearbox, powersteering lines and an oil change...... Now my big issue is it stalls randomly. never for the same reason, yesterday i had it idling outside for 5-10 minutes i started driving, it stalled. it cranked and cranked then started again i drove a few more yards and it stalled again. it did this about 6 times and then it was fine. A few days earlier i had been driving all day about 100 miles one way then 200 miles coming back and at one point on the highway it just shut off, i cranked it till it came to a stop and it was sputtering trying to start, then cranked a little more and it started up and i didnt have any issues for the a few days. It did this on either the front or rear tank. Right now i'm in Indiana and the temps have been from the 30s to the 50s. Has anyone else had this problem or know what it may be?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Hey Chris,

Welcome to PSN! Lots of good info here. I would say what you may be experiencing is a common problem with the Cam Position Sensor (CPS) going out. Classic symptom truck will intermittently shut down with greater frequency.

The CPS are relatively inexpensive to buy and easy to replace. If I recall use a quality 10mm six sided socket and on the passenger side of engine at the front (facing the radiator) you'll find the CPS, small plastic sensor with a three wire plug in it.

Seems to me there is/was a factory recall on these but I think it only went back to '96 you could always get your VIN and check either through the dealership on Fords website.

Most guys on here have a spare in the glovebox...

jrc

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man,
she's completely dead on the side of the highway right now, just walked home and the first thing i did is log on to the site. i really appriciate it, im gonna run up to the auto parts store in the morning, i'll post tomorrow to let you know if she's fixed or not!

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
One indicator of a bad CPS (not conclusive, but a good indicator) is if you don't see any tach movement while trying to start the engine.

Also, if it's a manual, and it quits while you're rolling down the road, and the wheels continue to turn the engine, if the tach drops to zero, that suggests it's the CPS or some electronic issue; if the tach keeps pointing, that suggests it's a fuel-related failure. Do you happen to remember when it quit while underway last time, whether the tach continued to point or dropped to zero?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cant Remember what the tach was doing, but the auto parts store i called (Napa) was open late so i grabbed the CPS, walked back down the highway, and installed it. i rode it around for about 30 minutes afterwards everything seemed fine, so i'll be drivin it tomorrow and we'll see how it goes, now i just gotta fix the 4wheel drive! haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts