Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
obs stroke addict
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had symptoms of a CPS problem with intermitent engine shutting down, changed the CPS and still the same. Checked all fuses especially # 22, put in new fuse and the truck started, put back old fuse and still started, drove to work the next day and had a few burps on the way, after work it started, but died in the parking lot, started again right away but died again not to restart. Towed home and removed IPR, cleaned and replaced "o" rings. Still no start. I have checked the filter cannister and it is near empty,it had fuel in it the first time I checked, so would it be the FPR or the fuel pump next?

thanks, red

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
How full is the tank?
Tried switching tanks?
Using an off brand fuel filter which has to small of a stubb in the center?
Why did you put in a "new fuse"?
Does the tach move?
How is the fuel bowl wiring harness?
Check fuel pressure?

·
obs stroke addict
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How full is the tank?
Tried switching tanks?
Using an off brand fuel filter which has to small of a stubb in the center?
Why did you put in a "new fuse"?
Does the tach move?
How is the fuel bowl wiring harness?
Check fuel pressure?
My rear tank leaks, so only run front
Did not change fuel filter before problem started
Was thinking fuel heater
Tach moves
wiring seems ok
Don't have pressure guage
Truck ran flawlessly till I came out from work in the afternoon
No previous symptoms

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
A regular tire gauge works on a pinch to check the fuel pressure. Is the tank pretty low?

·
obs stroke addict
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I never let the tank get below 1/4. I know it's looking like the fuel pump or regulator, but the symptoms are just not right to me. Really seemed like CPS problems, thats why I changed that first.

red

·
obs stroke addict
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok......... I have changed the CPS, removed and cleaned the IPR with new "o" rings, removed and checked the fuel filter bowl, and checked the fuses yet again, replaced the fuel pump, changed out the IDM for a used one. The fuel pressure on crank over is 60 lbs, and still no hint of firing, no smoke at the tail pipe, and the tach moves on crank over as well....anybody got a match????????? Oh yeah, the tank was a bit over 1/4 so I put more in the tank....it reads 1/2 now.

red

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Do you have access to someone with a good scan tool that can run a buzz test for you and also to see if the truck is building HP oil pressure.

Did you refill the HP reservoir?

·
obs stroke addict
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your reply Tom, I do not have access to someone with a scan tool, and yes most definately I refilled the HPOP reservoir from all the short cranks, and there is oil pressure on cranking. I'm about at wits end on this thing, so any suggestions..........

red

·
Registered
969 Posts
first off dont burn your truck, lol. have you tried to pull start it? your truck needs 500 psi to start. im guessing bad ipr and or hpop issues. my wifes dad just got his truck back and he had some of the problems your having now.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
I wish I could help you better. It is really hard to diagnosis stuff over the computer. A scan tool is pretty necessary for testing the electrical side of the system as is a spare PCM and IDM.

·
obs stroke addict
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Salprofish, I can't see that this is a HPOP problem, as the truck ran fine in the morning of the start of the problems. IPR, yeah maybe, but I removed, cleaned and put on new "o" rings, no difference. I'm almost thinking that I got a bad CPS from ford as I have had some CPS issues in the past, or maybe a wiring problem ( I hope not). The fire is looking better with each step of futility....:ford:=not

red

·
obs stroke addict
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish I could help you better. It is really hard to diagnosis stuff over the computer. A scan tool is pretty necessary for testing the electrical side of the system as is a spare PCM and IDM.
Tom, today I changed the IDM with a used one, no change. Good thing the wrecker will let me return it as it was $450.00. This is sooooo frustrating as it has been off the road for a month now.

red

·
Registered
969 Posts
Salprofish, I can't see that this is a HPOP problem, as the truck ran fine in the morning of the start of the problems. IPR, yeah maybe, but I removed, cleaned and put on new "o" rings, no difference. I'm almost thinking that I got a bad CPS from ford as I have had some CPS issues in the past, or maybe a wiring problem ( I hope not). The fire is looking better with each step of futility....:ford:=not

red
lol, sometimes our trucks make us want to pull our hair out( if we have any to pull) well you sure could have got a bad cps, i dont know for sure im not a diesel tech, but from what i have read and learned from these guys our injectors need 500 psi of oil pressure for the injector to put the fuel in the cylinder, not enough oil pressure=no fuel=no start, im with tom sometimes it can be very frustrating trying to help someone over the computer, try to pull start it and if it starts that would narrow it down. hope this helps.

·
obs stroke addict
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, here is the full story, in case I missed telling every thing...Drove truck to work in the morning, shut off and worked the day. Came out from work, no start. That afternoon, went to Ford and got new CPS, still no start. Had the truck towed home and started to look for fuses gone bad, none looked burned but changed the#22 fuse anyway...Truck started, pulled the new fuse and cleaned the terminals on the old fuse and put back in, truck started again. Fine I thought just a bad connection. Drove to work next morning and there were some burps and misses, but thought it was from opening the fuel filter and pulling out the cartridge. Got to work and that afternoon, truck started and then died after a few yards, started again and then died again, did this once more and then no start again. Had it towed home again and tryied again at home and it started. Let it run for about ten mins, then died, started just like a CPS problem, then died not to start again. Removed IPR and cleaned and put new "o" rings on..no difference. Checked fuel bowl again and no fuel. Changed fuel pump, have 60 lbs on cranking, no start, no white smoke. Changed IDM, no change again. Tach is moving and oil pressure showing on cranking. It has been a crumby day and I really hope someone has a trick or two....

red

1 - 15 of 15 Posts