Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin has a '95 F250 that was origonally a 5 speed truck and someone swapped in an automatic E4od.

since he's had the truck (couple months) it has leaked atf out the front of the trans. It leaks worse when he's been towing or running in reverse.

We both checked around and have been told that there was an updated pump and front seal for these trucks, trans has newer gray paint on it, so we thought best case scenario the front seal is messed up, so we bought the updated seal for $5 and pulled the unit and swapped it. While we had it out we went ahead and pulled the pan, everything looked really clean inside, but we went ahead and changed the filter while we were in there. Fluid looked great, and just a very small amount of metal shavings on the magnet.

Put it all back together and filled full of fluid etc... started dripping again just like before. Drove it, it did fine, shifted normal just like before. Got on the interstate and it blew all the transfluid out the front of trans. He pulled it over and we loaded it up on the trailer so we didn't damage it.

Think we should pull it back out and buy the updated pump and put that in, or????

Does this sound common to anyone?

what are yall's thoughts?

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
171 Posts
if that front seal is installed well and your sure, check your torque converter.. that really is the only thing left

·
Registered
608 Posts
Double check the seal it isn't hard to damage one. I did basically the same thing and it was the seal. Next thing is the pump itself the torque converter shouldn't be a problem unless there is a burr on it killing the seal.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Double check the seal it isn't hard to damage one. I did basically the same thing and it was the seal. Next thing is the pump itself the torque converter shouldn't be a problem unless there is a burr on it killing the seal.
He is going to pull it back out on saturday night and has a new pump and seal to go back in it, so we'll see I guess. The trans guys he has talked to have all told him pump? Hope it fixes it.....at least pulling the trans last saturday made it easier to get the old downpipe out and the new one inplace :poke:

Justin

·
Failure to Communicate
1,133 Posts
Like they said it's pretty easy to damage that seal when you put the converter back in. They didn't happen to try and do all this with the converter still bolted up an slide the tranny back up to it did they?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to let everyone know, it ended up being the pump....the bushing was worn and slid forward and was popping out the seal. So we bought at new pump and she's running strong now.

Justin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts