Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I can find, it looks like they'll be interchangeable, but anyone know for sure?? I've got a blown 95, and a good 01, but based on the SN it's got PMRs, so thinking about swapping the conrods if i can

·
Well Hung Member
635 Posts
whats blown about the 95? if youre just doing the rods can you use that crank too?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
#4 cylinder lost compression...Piston is chewed all to hell, and rings are fried, so the cylinder wall isn't too hot. As far as I can tell, the crank is fine...is there something different/better about it?

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
The crank will be balanced for the the rods. From what I have heard there is quite a differenced in the balance between a pmr engine and a forged rod engine.

·
Well Hung Member
635 Posts
yea, either way, get your rotating assembly balanced when you put it togther, dont just bolt it up and think youre good, youll regret it quick

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Ummm, well the rods are still in the block 35000 miles later and has made at least 10 passes in the 11's. Over 50 passes in the 12's :D

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Ummm, well the rods are still in the block 35000 miles later and has made at least 10 passes in the 11's. Over 50 passes in the 12's :D

Is it thought or known that the metalurgy or the rods was better back then or something else that makes these more desirable than say a 99.5-2001 that has forged rods?

Yours is tuely a amazing example of how well a bottom end can hold together. You are pushing over what 700 HP now and you certinaly do not hold anything back, from the videos I have seen, on the track. Yet other have them let go at power far below those numbers.

When you did this swap I assume you did a full rebuild so you got it balanced muh better than any of the stockers. What upgrades did you make in the build?

I had always thought the older pre 99 blocks and cranks were weaker but that was just from what I had read.

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Bone stock 100k mile long block out of a 1997 truck that now has ~35k on it. Motor blew at 157k, mileage on truck is now ~192k give or take...

Don't know about any of the other crap. It just works.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
LOLLOL KISS principle all the way I guess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts