Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'95 F350...348,500mi The rest of the truck info is in my sig.

Had a few nights recently that got down to the -8deg range.

The first time, went to start the truck in the early am...ext cord to the block heater had come unplugged from the wall the night before. It fired, ran rough (like aerated high pressure oil), then shut down. Oil pressure gauge never came up. I instantly knew what happened, so I threw a propane heater under the oil pan and filled the HPOP Res back up with oil (it was empty). After this, the truck fired right up and ran just like it should.

The second time, same temps, but had the block heater plugged in all night, the truck started, ran rough, shut down.
This time I didn't refill the HPOP Res, just threw the propane heater under the truck and let the pan warm up. Went back out a while later and fired the truck up...started with the normal amount of cranking and ran smooth.

I had just chalked the above situations to 15w40 oil in below 0 temps, but yesterday morning I started to wonder.

A few days ago, I bought my wife a '97 F350 with 140,000mi. Truck is very clean and well taken care of. I went out to start her truck yesterday morning, -8deg temps, block heater plugged in all night. To my surprise, the oil pressure on her truck came up almost instantly and there was no rough running at all. This morning, same temps, same instant startup.

This leads me to wonder...am I having an oil drainback issue, or is my low pressure pump getting tired? There is a very clear difference between the time it takes for my truck to register oil pressure compared to hers. Anyone experienced this?

BTW, my truck took about a 6month break from being started in the early mid part of this year (had to swap the rear axle and replace the clutch) so I drove my '84 for a bit. After 6mo of sitting, I put one battery back in the '95 and it fired right up. Seems like it would have been a pain to start if the hpop res was draining down. Can the IPR cause this sort of issue?

Thanks,
Phillip

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...or could the pressure relief valve on the oil cooler be stuck open?

Thanks,
Phillip

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Thing to do is check the HPO res level BEFORE even turning the key the first time. If it's down, you've got a drainback.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts