Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1995 F350 7.3 Crew Cab Dually 4x2
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a leak filling the valley of the engine. When I opened and inspected I noticed the banjo bolt area leaking on back of the fuel pump. I tightened and the dripping stopped. When I took it for a drive and checked again there was diesel in the valley. So I decided to replace the washers for the banjo bolt on the back of the fuel pump and still leaks. Next I bought all new hoses from Ford, pulled the fuel bowl, installed new hoses, installed bowl and now, immediately after install, it idles rough with less power on the road and sputters as I accelerate. A few weeks ago we replaced cups and it ran like a new truck until tonight after I installed the bowl. Somethings caddywampus! Also ... still have the leak after a 10 minute test drive. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
When you the fuel lines off, did you inspect the fuel filter housing for pinhole leaks? If not drain the filter housing, pull it out and inspect it with a flashlight or see if it is wet on the bottom. Had one doing that on a 96 PSD....

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Also check the weep hole at the base of the pump for possible leakage. Cheers!

Reactions: Danthecarman

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you the fuel lines off, did you inspect the fuel filter housing for pinhole leaks? If not drain the filter housing, pull it out and inspect it with a flashlight or see if it is wet on the bottom. Had one doing that on a 96 PSD....
I had it off today (again) and see no visible signs of wetness.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe just air in the system?

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk
I have worked with the schrader valve, cracked the banjo, turned over with ignition off and bled sch valve and still stutters when accelerating and no power

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Also check the weep hole at the base of the pump for possible leakage. Cheers!
Tore system apart again today, Replaced fuel filter amd don’t see any more leaks after idling 30 min and driving hard for 15. I think that solved the leak problem, but now the misfire issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have worked with the schrader valve, cracked the banjo, turned over with ignition off and bled sch valve and still stutters when accelerating and no power. When I turn over with ignition off then bleed the valve there’s no air (same thing on banjo. Anybody know how to bleed the system properly? What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Sounds like the fuel pump is on it's way out.

Have you checked the fuel pressure on the schrader valve yet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like the fuel pump is on it's way out.

Have you checked the fuel pressure on the schrader valve yet?
Just replaced the fuel pump and leak is fixed but the power gone and sputtering on acceleration is a problem now. I took it for a 100 mile freeway trip and nothing changed

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I would still check the fuel pressure.

I have seen and purchased pumps that were bad right out of the box.

Other than that does it do it on both tanks?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I would still check the fuel pressure.

I have seen and purchased pumps that were bad right out of the box.

Other than that does it do it on both tanks?
Yes on both tanks. Fuel Pump on engine brand new from Ford. Will check pressure though. Waiting on Autozone to get the rental kit in from hub store this morning

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok this is not going well. I found the culprit for misfire in one of the connectors to the valve cover gasket. NOW ......... we have fuel in the v again. Replaced fuel lines, banjo bolt washers and fuel pump! The whole thing from front to back has fuel (as far as I could tell at night with a flashlight).

I was super excited when I replaced the fuel pump and had no leak after 100+ miles on the fwy so we got the ac all charged up, I ordered my Andersen goose neck 5th wheel adapter and was looking forward to installing all the fun stuff .......... then 🙁 the leak. Good thing I love working on this old thing or it would have been over a hill to see how many times we can make it roll

I did test the fuel pressure at schrader valve (55psi), have we heard of this possibly giving problems?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Lots of places for leaks and it usually takes some cleanup and thorough inspection to find:

The pump itself, usually out of the weep hole at the base of the pump (probably not with new pump, but you never know)
The metal fuel line(s) banjo fitting on the rear of the pump
Any of the hoses to/from pump and bowl
The fuel bowl lid
The fuel bowl drain valve (yellow lever and assembly down the side of the bowl)
The Fuel Pressure Regulator (at the joint where it attaches to the bowl and where the line comes up into the bottom of the FPR (96/97)
The Fuel Restriction Sensor on the FPR (96/97) or on back of fuel bowl (94/95) (loves to leak)
The Water In Fuel Sensor on the driver's side of the bowl
The Fuel Heater Feed-though on the driver's side of the bowl
An actual hole/crack in the bottom of the bowl

Fuel pressure seems fine. Cheers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts