Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need for some help with my 95 7.3's power loss issue. For the past 5 months or better it's been losing power at 2000-2500 rpm.

When in neutral at WOT it will jump to 2000 rpm then start to sputter and blow a bit of white smoke, it'll slowly push through to around 2500 rpm, clear up and take off like its supposed to. I've done this with a guage on the heads, and I noticed that my HPOP pressure drops for that moment then picks back up.

The other issue I've been having is when at high rpm's while on the highway, it will drive fine until I let off the throttle to shift into usually 4th or 5th, it will lose all throttle and through a p1211 code. I clear the code and it's back to normal.

Here's what I've done to it to try fixing the issue.

Changed oil, oil filter, fuel filter
Replaced:
-HPOP
-Injector o-rings and cups
-ICP, IPR both twice and their harnesses
-New oil lines to the heads
-Upgraded my fuel system so I have a constant 65psi
-PCM
-IDM

Sorry if its allot to read, just trying to get all the information up front. Any thoughts and suggestions help, thank you.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Seems like there should be a code or some codes being thrown with that kind of problem.

All I know to do is to keep plugging away at it. There's a gremlin in there somewhere.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You need to put ALL the truck's details & history into your signature, as this caption explains:

(phone app link)

Then inspect the truck carefully for any visible problems, like rodent/collision/fire/corrosion damage. Mine had a lot, but nothing that interfered with how it runs.

(phone app link)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Theres quite a few codes going off. P1211 is my main issue but these are the others that come up. P0236, P1728, P1211, P0344, P0603 and P0472. Some were self made from unplugging the MAP sensor and putting the EBPV on a switch.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'm a newbie to diesels, 7.3s, and Ford. Have you cleared all these? It seems like you have thrown a lot of parts at it. Also, are your sensors Motorcraft? After market is bad juju.

Power Stroke OBD-II Code P1211 - "ICP Higher/Lower Than Desired" (7.3L)
OBD-II Code P1211 from a 7.3 Liter Power Stroke is often caused by running "Hot Chips" or tunes that are demanding more ICP (Injection Control Pressure) than the HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump) can deliver and can be accompanied by a lack of power or rough running. For what it's worth, these are the exact parameters that trigger this code:
ICP 410psi Higher Than Desired for 7 Seconds
ICP 280psi Lower Than Desired for 7 Seconds
Code P1211 can also be caused by legitimate High Pressure Oil System issues. Below is a list of some of the causes:
  • Failed or Sticking IPR (Injection Pressure Regulator)
  • Failed or Weak HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump)
  • Any Leak in High Pressure Oil System (o-ring, stuck injector, etc.)
  • Low Fuel Pressure (Rare)
P0236 FORD Possible Causes --
Faulty boost pressure sensor
Boost pressure sensor harness is open or shorted
Boost pressure sensor circuit poor electrical connection
Faulty Turbo/Super Charger
Engine over temperature
Ignition misfire exceeds the calibrated threshold
Faulty Knock sensor (KS)

P1728 FORD Possible Causes -- Low or dirty transmission fluid Check for transmission mechanical problems

P0344 FORD Possible Causes --
Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
Faulty starter motor
Starting system circuit Dead (Weak) battery

p0603 KAM happens every time I disconnect my batteries.

P0472 FORD Possible Causes --
Faulty Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor
Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor harness is open or shorted
Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor circuit poor electrical connection

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'm in need for some help with my 95 7.3's power loss issue. For the past 5 months or better it's been losing power at 2000-2500 rpm.

When in neutral at WOT it will jump to 2000 rpm then start to sputter and blow a bit of white smoke, it'll slowly push through to around 2500 rpm, clear up and take off like its supposed to. I've done this with a guage on the heads, and I noticed that my HPOP pressure drops for that moment then picks back up.
Pardon my musings. . . I'm learning how this works.
So, you run wide-open-throttle in neutral
It drives the RPMS up to 2000 . . . do you know what your oil pressure and duty cycle is?
It sounds like it runs out of fuel and has to wait for the fuel pressure to come back up . . .
OR . . . runs out of oil pressure and has to wait for it to build back up.
Could your low pressure oil pump be failing to provide enough oil to the HPOP?

The other issue I've been having is when at high rpm's while on the highway, it will drive fine until I let off the throttle to shift into usually 4th or 5th, it will lose all throttle and through a p1211 code. I clear the code and it's back to normal.
On the highway - high(er) RPMs . . . but steady. Oil pressure and fuel pressure is up and you are at what RPM when you let off the throttle to upshift?

You let off the throttle, pressure goes down, then you step on it again, and there is insufficient pressure (fuel or oil?) to continue . . .

You replaced the HPOP and it still does it. You have an upgraded fuel system.

Can you measure the fuel pressure after the filter, at the lines to the heads? Just because the fuel pump is putting out 65psi doesn't mean the heads are seeing it.

Assuming the HPOP and injectors are okay . . . and you don't have a high pressure oil leak . . .

Are you using Motorcraft sensors? I heard enough about the aftermarket's horror stories.

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
Put a new cam sensor in it. They are know to be faulty. Only use motor craft or international.

Reactions: Jax

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've taken care of some of the codes, they will all clear and stay cleared until it loses power. I believe my ipr and icp are motorcraft, I try to stay away from the cheaper brands for those two.

I do not know the duty cycle, I have a guage reading normal operating pressure for the hpop, I'm working on getting a scanner to make life easier. And my lpop is pushing 80psi when warm into the hpop while driving.

I have a fuel regulator on the return line coming out of the heads so the head will always have 65psi, I've watched it while someone gave it throttle and it doesn't move hardly.

On average I shift at 2000-2500 rpms. Recently I've been shifting under 2000 so it won't lose power.

I just got back from being gone for a few weeks. I'll take a look at everything again tonight with a fresh mind set. Might see something I missed before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts