Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the forum. Here’s my truck:

95 7.3 145k miles, second owner, 5 speed, extended cab long bed. All original truck and pretty clean. No aftermarket except tow tune Anyway..

hunting last season, jump in truck and drive off to hear dragging noise. Get out and notice main parking brake cable dragging. I reattach to splitter and get back home, in drive way notice when Iset brake it pulls through the hole due to overuse/bend. I straighten it and weld the small crack back together and re assemble, all good. While working I figure, cables look rough, it’s a stick, Ipull a work trailer, new cables probably a good bet. I replace left and right cables. A few weeks go by, find that the drivers side seems to be dragging. Pull it apart, sure enough it’s metal on metal. Do a full drum brake service both sides. (Should’ve, but didn’t replace/ measure that cable) go to test drive after brake job and it gets hot, HD IR thermometer said around 300 degrees. Worried I may pop tire, I pull it apart with welding gloves on. Let it cool. I notice self adjustment mech on driver side does not “re center” or move as easily as pass side. I take assembly apart, lubricate and clean all parts. Re assemble and drive with a bad shudder when stopping. I know the drums most definitely warped( noticed the new Napa drumswere missing weld on balancer weights like old drums) I order a set of aftermarket drums from rock auto (hard to get things turned in my area anymore) am very careful this time to be sure self adjusters are even a little less then should be on first drive in a safe area. No shudder, stops great, cool. Few weeks goes by, shudder comes back when braking. Notice drum is running about 50-75 degrees warmer then pass side. This time, I measure the cable off the truck and realize it’s not the right side (and a brand idk about) I order a raybestos from RA seems to be much better. Anyway, shudder still happens when braking. I think the parking brake mechanism isn’t relocating and staying somewhat “on” on that one side and heating that Drum up. That second new drum does have a somewhat rainbow hue now. If I roll backward and slightly hit the brakes then drive it’s good for a few stoplights but after braking a few times it’s back to grabbing I think. I feel like I’m missing something obvious but I’m going crazy. Sorry for the long post but wanted to give as much info as possible.

no seal leak, carrier bearing is fine but bushing is starting to look tired, new calipers but no new disks yet upfront, had one (driver side) somewhat sticking so I replaced both after initial truck inspection.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Failed to mention: in safe area I have: stopped in neutral to be sure it’s drivetrain/ brakes, and put in neutral and applied parking brake with release pulled to isolate to drums

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link, I have a few pictures attached here. I’m thinking it may be good to replace the springs as those are pretty cheap and it did get hot enough to potentially stretch them. I’m hoping I can find someone to turn these drums as there a good set like the ones you used. I looked through my ford service books but didn’t find a measurement for initial shoe setup. Did you just make sure they were equal on both sides ? Thanks !
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Rim

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Bicycle part Gear

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Tire Light

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There greased, the left hand picture has a small glob even on the back plate still. Also, this is me taking the drum off today after doing all that which now all has dust on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I solved this for anyone else having issues:

check the torque specs for the stud at the top that holds the parking brake arm.

don’t use non-name brand parking brake cables

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I solved this for anyone else having issues:

check the torque specs for the stud at the top that holds the parking brake arm.

don’t use non-name brand parking brake cables
Aaaaaand spoke to soon. Now the PASSENGER side is running hot (300+ degrees). I really am lost as to why these brakes keep doing this. I used the parking brake today as I had my work trailer and parked on hill (first time I’ve used the parking brake since the last new set of drums and adjustment) It’s only after I use the parking brake do I have an issue. Guys, I can’t make this stuff up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts