Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Just in case your 1995 EVTM does not have the VIP Data Link Connector(s) information, here's some info for you:

C198 (6-pin underhood connector, only 2 used)
Pin 2: Circuit 359 (GY/R) goes to PCM connector pin 91 through splice S164
Pin 4: Circuit 658 (PK/LG) goes to PCM connector pin 2 and CEL

C199 (1-wire underhood connector)
Circuit 209 (W/P) goes to PCM connector pin 66

Cheers!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Patrick, thank you for the additional info on the DLC/ STI connections.

The reason for the '95 EVTM is that they do not have the one for '94- they should be about the same- right? If it ends up that I have to get a new PCM- is it possible to have it flashed by the retailer/ vendor with the '95 version so the OBDII connector can be used.?

I am contemplating building a couple of breakout boxes / 104 pin, 42 pin/ do you have any advice about this undertaking?

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
The 95 EVTM will be just fine for almost everything. My 94 had power rear windows that the 94 EVTM did not show, so I had to copy 95 EVTM pages to supplement it. I have the 94 and 97 EVTMs in paper and 96-03 on DVD. My old 95 CD-ROM version no longer works on newer Windows machines. I've always thought about building breakout boxes, but never got around to finding connectors/used harnesses (and pins) to use. Waaay back, I would have used the 42-pin to build an injector breakout box to "cancel" injectors one at a time. At one time, you could buy an "AEM 30-2980 Patch/Extension harness" that could be modified to work for a breakout box, but at over $200 it was a bit pricey. I don't think its even available any more, and I haven't been looking for alternatives either. Hope that helps! Cheers!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I gotta say I'm totally lost on whuzup with your truck! Jeesh! Find a junk yard PCM to try or maybe eBay?. A man can chase wires for days working and still find something so simple all you can do is look up and praise God when you find the problem.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Just going by the seat of my pants but I am thinking more towards the IDM than the PCM.

However there are posts on here that kind of point that both are working.

Wasn't there a post on here saying that the inlectors passed the buzz test? That along with the fact that the PCM has to be working for that to happen.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Very well could be the IDM. Patrick is gonna build a breakout box we can all pass around for this kind of stuff. And I used to have one till the thieves wanted it for pawn money. Dad gum thing was 500 bucks off the Mac truck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Hey Tom- no worries, this thread will die when the truck starts. Thanks for your continued support.

I have actually been testing things (weather permitting) and eliminating potential causes to the point where a diagnostic scan is displaying a KOEO DTC-111 (pass), CM-continous memory- DTC-111 (pass) and DTC-911 (IDM pass). This truck should START. right?

Well I went back to square one and started with the 'Engine diagnostic sheet Hard start/ No start'. When I got to procedure #7-'Verify PCM power up during engine cranking' I am getting 0.451v steady at the STI wire- spec calls for 5v +/- .5v? So PCM is not powering up?. But if its not getting enough power how does it test the system/circuits. And why do the DTC codes retrieved during the KOEO test all give the system a PASS code? Any ideas???
I gotta say I'm totally lost on whuzup with your truck! Jeesh! Find a junk yard PCM to try or maybe eBay?. A man can chase wires for days working and still find something so simple all you can do is look up and praise God when you find the problem.
I'm lost also Tom, The one thing that I keep coming back too is the IPR is NOT getting a ground signal from the PCM and the wiring back to the PCM connector is good.
Is it possible that the PCM got a signal/short from the fuel bowl heater wire when it overheated and melted ( in the fuel bowl harness)?

I was under the impression that the PCM's were not interchangable and were VIN specific but the IDM's were the same through '99 or '00 models. I pray often that is the only way I stay sane.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Hey Tom- no worries, this thread will die when the truck starts. Thanks for your continued support.

I have actually been testing things (weather permitting) and eliminating potential causes to the point where a diagnostic scan is displaying a KOEO DTC-111 (pass), CM-continous memory- DTC-111 (pass) and DTC-911 (IDM pass). This truck should START. right?

Well I went back to square one and started with the 'Engine diagnostic sheet Hard start/ No start'. When I got to procedure #7-'Verify PCM power up during engine cranking' I am getting 0.451v steady at the STI wire- spec calls for 5v +/- .5v? So PCM is not powering up?. But if its not getting enough power how does it test the system/circuits. And why do the DTC codes retrieved during the KOEO test all give the system a PASS code? Any ideas???
I'm lost also Tom, The one thing that I keep coming back too is the IPR is NOT getting a ground signal from the PCM and the wiring back to the PCM connector is good.
Is it possible that the PCM got a signal/short from the fuel bowl heater wire when it overheated and melted ( in the fuel bowl harness)?

I was under the impression that the PCM's were not interchangable and were VIN specific but the IDM's were the same through '99 or '00 models. I pray often that is the only way I stay sane.

I'm not sure why this is showing previous quotes- sosad

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Bugman, I believe the PCM has to be the culprit since I am not getting a ground signal at the IPR on start-up attempt. The harness shows good from the IPR connector to the 104 pin connector at the PCM. Numeruos scans that I have done ( every time I try to start the truck) all indicate a pass code '111' for the KOEO, Continous Memory and IDM buzz test,I just don't know if there is something I am missing.?
What else would cause the PCM not to send the grounding signal to the IPR? The ICP is new but not OEM Ford- could this be the problem?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think I may have a PCM if I do some looking if your truck is a manual. This would be off a 95 f350.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Thanks for the offer Tom- my truck is a manual. I would appreciate knowing if you find the PCM as I was considering sending mine off to 'SIA Electronics in Tilden, Ill. for repair. Much cheaper than a 'new' remanufactured one.
Knowing whether or not mine is bad would be a relief - If its bad then off to the repair shop, If it's not bad then I still have an unknown that needs diagnosing. Would a '95 PCM allow the OBDII underdash connection port on my '94.5 to be usable for live data diagnosis?
Still waiting on my EVTM
Let me know what you find, and have a good day.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Check your pm
I don't have an answer on the diagnostic connector I was wondering about that too. This truck doesn't have an OBDII connector of course. But I got it sitting here :rockwoot:

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
If you go looking for a PCM, you can use any DPC-203 family of PCM (manual trans equipped trucks) as long as it does not have the 1996 California splitshot programming. I would have to go back and look up those codes, but generally you won't find very many of them. When I replaced my 94's original PCM (BEG8 programming reflashed to an ALF4 program by the dealer) I got another ALF4 programmed unit from RockAuto. A replacement or reflashed PCM will enable the underdash diagnostic port (and I'm guessing disable the underhood port). I haven't looked at the 94 PCED again, but you should be getting a code for the IPR power circuit. Since mine had been reflashed already, I was getting the P1283 DTC and PCM replacement was the last step of the testing process. It did fix my problem. Cheers!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well, that is kind of what I thought as long as he gets one for a manual trans and not a split shot or Super Duty PCM it should work. Mine is a MLE0 from a 95 manual truck and yelnif's is a BEG8. But the question again is why no IPR code? One explanation might be, it's a Ford...!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
So Patrick, If I can find a DPC-203 family PCM- that would work. That is great to know. JTLYK- I got my EVTM, very helpful- only wish it included the Powertrain control diagnostics, thats another manual and $50.00.
Since the IPR gets its assignment from the PCM but is not getting a ground signal- that's about all it can be- The PCM needs repaired/ replaced?
Like you- I don't know why the scans all say GTG but won't start. Do you know if the PCM can run the scan's/ buzz test but still have an internal malfunction?
If you don't mind me asking-where did you get yours from for your '94 (sounds like you are satisfied with its performance)?

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all the PSN.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Well, that is kind of what I thought as long as he gets one for a manual trans and not a split shot or Super Duty PCM it should work. Mine is a MLE0 from a 95 manual truck and yelnif's is a BEG8. But the question again is why no IPR code? One explanation might be, it's a Ford...!
Tom, is yours from the DPC-203 family (upper left corner of the label)?
Not getting any code for the IPR has me stumped also.
Funny

·
Registered
114 Posts
1996 MLE0 7-89A-R10 DPC-203 F7TF-SA 7.3L F-250/350 DIESEL - MANUAL VDAA0_04

Right there from your link Bug, it is a MLEO . It says a 96 model not sure my manufacturer date on that truck. I still think it would work. Anyways I do have parts if anyone needs anything. Also gonna sell my 97 I guess.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Just for info on my 94: It sat for a month or two after I parked it out back. It would not start and would keep draining the HPOP reservoir even after filling (need to watch for overfilling the oil in the pan when adding oil to the reservoir). The PCM would still give me the codes, and run KOEO tests and buzz test, but wouldn't start. One thing I did notice was it would seem to spin over a tad faster than normal since it turns out it wasn't building HPOP pressure. My scanner returned the P1283 and I ran the pinpoint tests. I purchased a PCM from Rock Auto for $115 plus refundable core. I used the ECM part numbers from the list that Bugman posted (plus the "12A650" added in the middle to complete the full part number) to find a suitable one on RA's website. The picture may not look correct either. The new one turned out to be an ALF4 code (as was my old reflashed unit). An MLE code would work just fine, just don't get the AUG series codes as those are for splitshots. Cheers!

81 - 100 of 131 Posts