Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to start off by saying this is my first diesel. But I have been a gearhead most of my life mostly toying with older hot rods. So iam almost completely ignorant when it comes to diesel engines

I have read multiple posts on here about the wif light and hate to start a new thread but they have not helped me thus far.

When I got the truck the wif light was on. Occasionally it would flicker while idleing. I took it to the garage and drained the fuel bowl on the bottom of the filter but there wasnt any water in the fuel I drained. So I went and picked up a fuel filter and swapped it out. While I had it off I cleaned the bowl good with some starting fluid and what I "think" is the sensor. Has a one wire plug in on the bottom of the fuel bowl. Still wif light stays on.
My question is is it common for them sensors to malfunction?
And the guy I bought it from worked at a mining operation so I assume the tank of fuel left in the truck is more than likely offroad fuel. Would that cause the sensor to alert wif?

Also I would like to know if there is an easier way to clean the bottom of the tanks besides dropping them?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Offroad fuel will NOT set the light. Was the fuel you drained red or green? Red == offroad, green == taxed (on-road).

No way into the tanks except through the hole for the feed/return/sender. "Easier" is in the eyes of the beholder. An alternative to dropping the tanks is to remove the bed. Whether that's easier depends on whether you have a topper, whether you have a lot of stuff in the bed, whether you have a place to put the bed, whether you have some buddies to help lift it, etc. For some, pulling the bed is way easier.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

On a 94, there will be three wires plugging into things on the fuel bowl:

1) Fuel Restriction Sensor on the backside of the fuel bowl down low
2) Fuel Heater on the driver's side of the bowl (top-most wire with a funky spade connector)
3) WIF Sensor on the driver's side of the bowl (just below the fuel heater connection. The WIF sensor actually holds the fuel heater feed through in a makes it seal).

The WIF sensor will connect to a small cube-shaped solid-state switch in the harness towards the front of the engine on the driver's side. Check the fuel bowl wiring harness carefully as fuel leaks cause the wiring insulation to turn to goo with shorting problems between wires. Does the light go on if the sensor is disconnected? Cheers!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fuel that I drained was red, and the light stays on when I unplug it. When I first start it the light kinda flickers but eventually stays in full swing. I was thinking the fuel heater was the wif sensor. How does the wif sensor come out? Im assuming it screws one direction or the other.Thanks for the info on the sensors now I realize which is what

And forgot to say there was no fuel leaks that I could see

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Your truck is an IDI, not a Powerstroke. There is an IDI section on the forum here; you'll find folks with more experience with your engine there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts