Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
7.3 case cracked and was given a Zf5 out of a 93 460. So my question is how do I line the holes up right to be drilled and what else needs to be done(flywheel, clutch etc)?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Drilled? Are you trying to adapt the bellhousing to the 7.3?

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^This right here^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you don't odds are you will be replacing the trans in a short time after you get done putting it in.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Just curious - What part of the case is cracked? If it is the tail section you may be able to just swap it out for the good one. The gearing is different between the gas and diesel ZF5s as well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^This right here^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you don't odds are you will be replacing the trans in a short time after you get done putting it in.
Just wondering why you say that. I do agree it is better to get a diesel one though.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Anytime you start drilling holes into aluminum with extra support around the hole odds are you are going t break the housing around or near where the hole was drilled.

Even years ago when you could purchase a bell housing adapter to mount just about any bell housing to any engine the adapter was made out of steel plate and didn't depend on a bell housing being drilled out to be able to mount it up to a engine.

It is just easier to get the correct transmission

Reactions: Randy4614

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just curious - What part of the case is cracked? If it is the tail section you may be able to just swap it out for the good one. The gearing is different between the gas and diesel ZF5s as well.
The tail housing is cracked and the bell housing is cracked all the way around

1 - 10 of 10 Posts