Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
04 oilburner
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
long story short. All four bolts in the turbo pedestal missing. no boost loud whistle hissing sound pretty gutless, you could wiggle thr whole thing pretty good. took every thing apart. put four new bolts in and then put everything back together like i had found it. still no boost and hissing sound is less but still there. it doesnt seem like the turbo is working. no noise no smoke and the harder you push on the pedal the slowing you go. yes i slow down the harder i get on it. got to tow a trailer full of my brothers stuff up to college. i need it asap.
2004 f350 6.0 auto 4x4 cclb 160000 zoodad blue spring high idle foglight mod mirror turn signal mod

·
Registered
73 Posts
Boots all intact? up-pipe bellows cracked?

·
04 oilburner
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay so i bugged out early from work and tightened every clamp and even took apart the charge air cooler tube and reassembled it to be sure. The two exhaust clamps were tight but not super tight so I tightened them too. Checked the electical connector. It seemed to help alittle but not all the way back, maybe a 1/4 of what should be. Thanks for the replies and I am interested in hearing more about the up-pipe bellows and the leak test. I rev-ed it up and then turned it off still no turbo whine.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Check your exhaust manifolds and up pipes for cracks/leaks. The whistle, no boost, and smell make me say exhaust leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
i also forgot to mention that it still hisses and it smells funny
Sounds like a exhaust leak, like amdriven2liv says check Y connection, you can also listen through a couple foot lenght a heater hose and hear the leak.

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,207 Posts
You might check the plastic on your intake where is has like a acordian flex point to where it connects to the aluminum. Saw a post that sounds a lot like yours when he accelerated it hissed and he found a crack on the very bottom and was loosing boost because of it. Put a new peice in it and boost back up and away it went?

Might be worth a look, he did say he couldn't see the crack till it was apart and was on the very bottom of it. Hope this helps

·
09 6.4
989 Posts
cracked up pipe bellow...most likely the drivers side. while its running stick your hand up along the pipe and you will probably be able to feel it or atleast hear which side its coming from. dont burn your arm though

·
04 oilburner
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys. had to borrow a duramax to get my lil bro to school. I know i had to pull my hat down so no one would recogize me. haha. the chev has airbags and i got to get some they are awesome. any way i will tear into it when i get back. i got a feeling i didnt get the y pipe seated.

·
Strokin 6 point Oh
229 Posts
Is the turbo actually turning? Since the pedestal was loose if it had a boost leak you stand a good chance of having over spooled it. If done for extended periods of time it can toast your turbo. I only say this b/c you said you revved it up and cut it off and couldnt hear the turbo (btw dont do that ever. Your starving you turbo for oil when its turning 40,000 rpm) More than likely as previously stated its a bellows in an up pipe or something not seated. Good luck

·
04 oilburner
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how do i tell if its toast? the wheel spins. i got a new degas bottle and coolant filter coming and plan do a coolant flush while i got the truck down anyway

·
Strokin 6 point Oh
229 Posts
Check for play in the shaft (lol) and for wheel to housing contact. Any luck with finding a leak??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts