Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys really been thinking about this for some time and would like to get information on the subject I would like to use a 95-97 7.3 powerstroke motor with the e4od trans and transfer case and drop it into a 1978 f150 regular cab short box 4x4 that will be lifted and some points I want to get across are. No I'm not worried about fuel economy this is not a Dailey driver it will be a toy and also I'm never going to pull or have a load on this truck strictly toy that being said could I keep the half ton axles that r on the truck now and what kind of Wiring problems would I run into thanks.

·
Native Texan
9,051 Posts
Well you would have to use most of the wiring from the 7.3l and of course the computers. the axles would handle it but the front springs and mounts will probably need some beefing up to support the weight. If the rear is a 9 inch then you can beef it up to handle the power. It will definitely be a project And I look forward to following it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes a Dana 44 Straight axle front and 9 in rear end r what's in it thanks for the input I would like to do it but not a sure thing yet

·
Native Texan
9,051 Posts
I was going to put one in a 76 motorhome but then I got my truck and decided I wanted it more the the motorhome. Well I will look forward to it if you decide to do it.

·
Project Shamu
2,793 Posts
If you're running the E4OD then you will have to run the sterling 10.25 or 10.5" axle, simply because your 9" doesn't have the vehicle speed sensor.

So plan on changing the rear axle.

That being said, you dont want 8 lug rear and 5 lug front, so plan on changing the front axle to match.

Or you could go manual zf5 or zf6 and the speed sensor is irrelevant (i think)

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Just buy a parts truck with everything. Swap the axles and everything over. You can cut the main harness down to the bare bones and you really just need a few wires. @markfuga has done it. He is here and on the army. I personally think setting the cab and bed on to a 97 frame would be easiest.

Reactions: 410customs

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I agree with Sbluke, I was just looking at a 1973 F250 7.3 8 lug truck yesterday which is basically a 73 body on a lightly modified 97 frame...he even used the 97 dash and it fits like stock this is the easiest approach IMO the body dimensions and sizes all appear to be real similar up to 1997 making it easier to use old bodies on newer frames

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info I also thought about this to I've swaped a 78 onto a 87 Broncos frame before should be the same concept

1 - 10 of 10 Posts