Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to have my driveshaft worked on and figured I would have the shop swap out my rear pinion seal while they were at it. Highly reputable shop. Possibly the best in the area if you are to believe all the word of mouth. Anyway, took off from their shop and OOOOOMG was everything so much better than before! I mean night and day. Drove great. When I got home I noticed on the receipt that they wrote, "90 Wt Gear Oil". I'm pretty sure I have the 10.25" Sterling (2004 Excursion), and the spec for that is 75W-140 IIRC. I called and asked if they made an error on the receipt or what, and was told that they don't put anything other than 85W-90 dino oil in all of their axles unless the owner asks them to put something else in.

I did some reading, and there are quite a few people who feel that running 90 weight is fine so long as you don't do any towing or extreme duty conditions. I trust the folks on this board more than I do on some of the others, so I want to get your opinions. Either way, I'm going to swap it out for synthetic, but I guess I just need to know if I should be putting in more of the 90 or if it should be the 75-140.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
regular 90 weight is perfectly fine. that is what i put in my 88 axles when i did the first change at 40k miles, and they both have 495,000 mile sin them now and are still in perfect shape.
for close to 300,000 miles that truck pulled 32,000 lbs of machine and trailer all over the east coast.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's pretty much what I figured as well, but I'm also of the mindset that there's a reason Sterling said go with the 140. Does anyone have any good knowledge on that? I mean, maybe it's because that axle was originally intended for use in some medium duty truck which was designed to tow 50,000 lbs all day long, so it needed that weight, but then Ford thought it would be a good idea to put it onto a pickup, and so it truly doesn't need 140. Or maybe it's because they found premature wear with anything less no matter what the load. I'd just like to know.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
most sterlings also specify synthetic or SYN along with that multi viscosity 75-140 as seen on the tag
I imagine some of the recommendations is based around the limited slip (if equipped) and the possible addition of the ford LS additive if needed

while it will probably be fine personally, I don't see why they would not put in the factory recommended fill ?
the Visteon engineers supply a specification why not stick with it ?

I know when i fill them i don't use whatever i have lying around i go and buy the proper range fluid

1 - 4 of 4 Posts