Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im about to lift my 97 f250hd converted to f350(solid axle).doing the rsk and 6 inch lift superduty front springs. leveling the back from there.going to br running 38.5 military tires.was wondering if i could get a 5th wheel toy hauler close to this safely?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and channel all my common sence and say no. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm sure you could hook to it, but I think you would be on the line with towing safe...I've seen superdutys with 8inches and 37s do it...so I think it would be close, but I think ur better off doing some work to the trailer before you tow it,

·
Registered
166 Posts
then you need a lift kit for the trailer lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
depends on the trailer, if that leafs are over or under the axle, plus you'll still need extended shackles and stuff more than likely to insure the bed and trailer never meet. itll be pretty high up there and a little sketchy IMO. how big of a trailer are you thinking?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
custom tall gooseneck

·
airman
1,064 Posts
I know one guy that used his obs on 37s to pull the gooseneck around the farm. I've seen pics of an obs on 40s hooked to one. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me but people do it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you were to run the military 37s with only 3" lift and bags youd have no worries but 9" is out of question. basically your truck will be pointed skyward and your trailer will be draggin ass.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just like Willis said. I have a 3 inch rsk and 37s stock in the rear with air bags to adjust it up and down for towing. Using the bags I can get it level while towing but I wouldn't want to be any taller towing.

·
Registered
372 Posts
5th wheels were designed to be towed by stock height trucks. Mine with 35's on a stock rear suspension is a little high for my 5er. If you flip the trailer axles, it would help, but that would drastically alter the center of gravity. I wouldn't feel safe doing it. Bottom line, if you tow a 5th wheel or gooseneck, keep the lift to a minimum.

·
Registered
291 Posts
could always lift the trailer like some guys...

·
Registered
115 Posts
most trailers now come with the leaf springs on top. my pickup sits just a little high on my 5'ver, but perfect on my neighbors brand new 5'er. ive got a 4" on 35's

·
Registered
73 Posts
If it's a 5th wheel the leafs are on top, it depends on the make of 5th wheel as to how much adjustment height wis e you'd have. I've safely set up a couple customer trucks that were pretty tall, its do able I wouldnt tow a 5th wheel with anything more than 35" tires they start to marshmallow it is do able tho

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
If it's a 5th wheel the leafs are on top, it depends on the make of 5th wheel as to how much adjustment height wis e you'd have. I've safely set up a couple customer trucks that were pretty tall, its do able I wouldnt tow a 5th wheel with anything more than 35" tires they start to marshmallow it is do able tho
maybe pay attention to the load rating of the tires.
the OP said militarys.
the XLs I had were something like 4800lbs rating per tire and were about 38.5"
11r16s
you pump them to the rated 100psi and they wont be marshmellows with a little consumer 5th wheel

·
Registered
53 Posts
Military 37s come in a D rating of 3850 or an E rating of 4150 if I remember the E rating right. That will safely haul any 5th wheel camper you would likely pull with a 1 ton truck. With a 3" lift your suspension travel isn't what it used to be thus requiring the use of bags to help support it. A 9" lift and 38.5s is putting to much on the rear of not only the trailer but the truck. And a lifted trailer is NOT something I want flyin past me in Wyoming at 70mph when my 37s, daughter and I are safely traveling at 60mph.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Some of you are funny, you can flip axles no problem. There are literally thousands of toy haulers like this everywhere.

Now can you do it with 38s, no it would be tall

·
Registered
73 Posts
i believe he said a toy hauler 5th wheel, and no those arent light trailers unless you get a little 17-24ft unit. and yes ive seen these tires marshmellow under the weight of these trailers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Idk about an OBS height but I have a 01 with 7" of lift on 35s. It was originally on 8.5lift with 39.5s but I lowered it with smaller tires for towing a fifth wheel. I have a 28ft 5th wheel around 8k lbs. I have no issue towing and didn't flip the axles however when in am hooked up the rear bumper of the camper is about a 1' off the ground. For tires I have toyo at2s and have no issue with mushrooming and even towed a 11k fifth wheel with no problems.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts