Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just found a very clean 89 F250 4x4 with a 7.3 "rebuilt" it needs love for sure but the truck is going cost me less than last months Beer budget so I think it will be worth having. I dont need a money pit so I wanted to know what pitfalls I may run into with this motor. I am a little leery of shade tree rebuilds which this may have been... so advice on what to check into would be helpful.

Thank you

·
Banned
226 Posts
Do you know if it was bored out at all? Or was it sleaved? And knowing why it was rebuilt. Depending on mileage / maintenance these 7.3l are prone to cavitation. If your not sure what that is, do a search. How much $$$ is it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I learn more about the Rebuild today... the truck is clean not perfect but it is also pretty unmolested just used. Ill be honest the truck will be $600.00 So yeah no biggy if I had to do a bit of work but I really do not want to outside of making it mine... and fun! I will have to do some interior mods though... that much red is horrible!!! any ideas on interior upgrades as well?

·
Registered
206 Posts
in short words, whats cavitation? yall seem to know more about idi's than what id find on google lol

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
cavatation is when the coolant EATS the cylinder walls from the back side. The the coolant goes straight into your oil. the only way to fix it is a new engine or bare and sleeve the cylinders

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
The antifreeze eroding the water jackets creating pinholes in the cylinders... in short words is what cavitation is. What it means- new block or getting it sleeved. How to prevent it you ask? Put SCA's in the coolant and keep em there.

·
Registered
206 Posts
ohhh thanks. the 6.9 didnt have this problem becauce they had thicker cylinder walls correct?

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
correct, a 7.3 is a 6.9 bored .120" over. the thinner cylinder walls expand more creating the environment for cavitation to occur.

·
Ford Blue Oval Guy
90 Posts
The antifreeze eroding the water jackets creating pinholes in the cylinders... in short words is what cavitation is. What it means- new block or getting it sleeved. How to prevent it you ask? Put SCA's in the coolant and keep em there.
SCA?

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
Supplemental Coolant Additive

1 - 10 of 10 Posts