Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I screwed my tranny up that was in my truck and I have no idea when I'll be getting it back. My dad just bought a 88 7.3 idi with a 5 speed in it. It looks to be exactly like my tranny. I'm just wondering if I can swap it in?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I dont know much about manuals. so I am not going to be much help. However i do know there is a difference between the pre 95 and 95+ zf5 speeds. the pre95's are zf5-42 and the later ones are zf5-47. So there is a difference. I think the gearing itself is different. However my guess (and this is only a guess) is that it would be a direct swap. Just the gearing itself inside the tranny is different. I know for a fact there is a difference in the tranny's, not sure on the swap. Sorry if i was no help...

·
Registered
177 Posts
The bellhousings and are a direct bolt up/replacement. I am putting a zf-42 from a 93' IDI into my 95' PSD. The only real differences are that the -42 has a little higher first gear than the -47 and in stock configuration the -47 can handle a little higher torque input. But some good parts should take care of that. Hope that helps.
matt z

1 - 3 of 3 Posts