Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ive done alot of research on this truck and the problems its giving me, but i wanted to get psn users input.

heres a little back ground. i bought this truck for a grand about 4 days ago. it has roughly 250k? and a banks sidewinder turbo set up, it started up first turn drove amazing and had ( for lack of better word) balls. it had set up for a while out on a families friends land for god knows how long and they told me to put some diesel clean it it and i should be g2g. BUT after the diesel klean in all hell broke loose changed my fuel filter three times drained both tanks and put about 7gal of brand new diesel in. it started after the second try but would not stay running, so i held the schrader valve open and let the air bleed out and aslong as i held the schrader valve open the truck would run great. a friend told me to replace my lift pump because some how it was letting air in. before i dive in i wanted to get some input. best ways to do it or if i need to try something else before i take my alt and that off.. thanks in advance and sorry for asking so many noob quistions im new to diesel, but been an auto tech 5+ years :ford:

·
Registered
55 Posts
It could be air intrusion, I'm not sure the lift pump is the first place I'd look for that but it certainly could happen. I'd check all return lines and caps for leaks and also make sure that your fuel filter and all your connections are tight. After that I'd do a pressure or quantity test of the fuel at the schrader valve. I don't recall what the minimum quantity for fuel was running or at cranking speed but I imagine as a tech you would have access to this information. If you use a pressure test the pump needs 4-7psi to be happy and keep the timing within limits. Good luck with your IDI.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quick reply Jdk, ive checked all the return lines i can see while out breakin out my tools, and one of my buddys that has worked on IdI's and strokes all his life said if you open the schrader valve it should spray to the air fliter( the ******* judgement cant you tell?) well its not even makin to my injector pump. so i figured it would hurt to replace the pump. well ima go try the atf in the fuel filter back water trick to get the air out of the lines if that doesnt work then ima bust my tools out and start checkin all my lines, but from the top they dont look OE

·
Registered
55 Posts
Honestly I hate messes like that so I've never had the schrader out while the engine was running. Also I like electric fuel pumps on the IDI, but there's nothing wrong with the mechanical lift pump. It's reliable and cheap. Running, I'd think it would spit fuel across the whole engine compartment like yourfriend said. I used to see it get almost to the IP at cranking speed with a good mech pump. Your friend is right this pump has pumped it's last liter of diesel IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright to my defince it was kinda dark when i inspected my return line. they are oe and the cap is cracked. any idea on where would be the best place to buy it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok im feeling dumb. dont know if it is the return line. it runs from the fuel filter to the lift pump. that cap is cracked

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
first thing you need to do is put more fuel in the tank. these trucks are known for cracking the fuel pickup in the tank at around the 1/4 tank mark. if the fuel level is below the crack, it will suck air. you want to have at least 1/2 tank of fuel, preferably more.
if the line from the filter to lift pump is cracked, you would know it. the lift pump produces around 7 lbs pressure. if it does not leak, don't worry about it for now.
same with the return lines.
leaky return lines will only give you problems starting after the truck sat a few hours. you need to get the truck running first, and leaky return do not effect the truck running.

it really sounds to me like you are not getting enough fuel to the lift pump due to a low fuel level in the tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright ill give that a try, went ahead and started replcing the rubber lines at.the lift pump they where gas grade and were falling apart.

·
Registered
208 Posts
They were proabaly the originals and falling apart, if you need a return kit contact me I stock them way cheaper than any local auto parts. also look for redish black crap in the filter you could have algae growth after sittitng that long.

And it would be nice to know where you are.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah don't hesitate to deal with Typ4 on the return kits he's always treated me right....it sounds like what you're saying is that the line from the lift pump to the fuel filter header is cracked. That is actually a supply side fuel line not a return. Most of these trucks have a real hard plastic like compound running from the fuel tanks to the selector valve and up to just behind the engine, then hard steel lines from there to just behind the lift pump where they are rubber hoses, from the lift pumpto the header is another section of hard steel line. Supply is 3/8" ID and return is 5/16" ID hose. If you're hoing to run diesel fuel only you can pretty much use any fuel hose from the auto parts store. If you want to run biodiesel, WMO, WVO, etc you need to be more careful and select something that is less reactive. If those lines are cracked, that might be your problem. If you have black algae in your tank that will foul your filter in <100 miles of driving and it will be a big problem. As long as that truck set Russ is right to suspect it but from what you're telling us I somehow think you just have a cracked supply line and might need to do the returns too if they are weepy and cracked. They are the real skinny fuel lines between the injectors. Usually the orings wear out first, the lines can also become hard and brittle, and I've also seen the caps be cracked. If you need those message Typ4 he'll treat you right. If you just need the rubber fuel hose you should be able to use whatever fuel hose you can get at the auto parts store, but the fuel injection rated Gates hose would be preferred.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I replaced the supply line and the othe rubber hoses in the engine bay with diesel grade lines when I did the lift pump and now its running great, thanks for all the tips n tricks ill be on agian after the holidays asking about my fuel tank switching problems (pulls from front tank only and doesnt show the status of the rear tanks fuel levels) merry christmas and happy holidays psn

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And nvm it didnt make it out of the parking lot once i bleed the air out it wil idle and rev fine but driving a qrtr mile it chokes out with air, ima replace more lines and put mre fuel in it but idk more than that

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ah crap it can never be simple....or maybe it can, these guys are right about <1/4 tank fuel levels, in many cases things won't run right when you get much below that level because the pickups in the tanks have a tendency to rot off. I hope it's something simple and easy like that. Have a real nice Christmas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright I tried the >1/4 tank infact its at half it got me back to my spot before running rough and dying. But I did find a leak from the blue line from the top of the tank to the selector, hope that is where im getting air from

·
Registered
679 Posts
Did you ever figure this out? My dad has a very similiar issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys ive done alot of research on this truck and the problems its giving me, but i wanted to get psn users input.

heres a little back ground. i bought this truck for a grand about 4 days ago. it has roughly 250k? and a banks sidewinder turbo set up, it started up first turn drove amazing and had ( for lack of better word) balls. it had set up for a while out on a families friends land for god knows how long and they told me to put some diesel clean it it and i should be g2g. BUT after the diesel klean in all hell broke loose changed my fuel filter three times drained both tanks and put about 7gal of brand new diesel in. it started after the second try but would not stay running, so i held the schrader valve open and let the air bleed out and aslong as i held the schrader valve open the truck would run great. a friend told me to replace my lift pump because some how it was letting air in. before i dive in i wanted to get some input. best ways to do it or if i need to try something else before i take my alt and that off.. thanks in advance and sorry for asking so many noob quistions im new to diesel, but been an auto tech 5+ years :ford:
I am an aircraft mechanic but probably better than a diesel mechanic. Picture of the return fuel lines from your injectors. Open the gas cap to the rear tank and set it aside. Remove the inlet line to the fuel pump, and with a compressor blow air back down to the tank with a selector switch on the rear fuel tank. Do not be surprised if you see a lot of fuel coming out your fuel tank but that's normal and that's what you want to see. You've got some sludge in the in the bottom of your tank that is plugged up your Inlet tube to your fuel sending unit. This will take care of the problem. If it repeats itself you have to take the tank out which is no big deal, remove the fuel sending unit, and clean the sludge out of the tank. You don't know what's in their tank. Just find out!

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
9 year old thread.
And he has not logged on in 8 years.
I would imagine he got it fixed by now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.