Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bandwagon Jumper
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TOLD MY WIFE TO TURN THE WHEEL ON MY 86 SO I COULD RECONNECT THE TRACK BAR ON THE SOLID FRONT AXLE SWAP. SHE DID SO WITH THE KEY OFF AND NOW THE TRUCK WILL NOT STAY RUNNING UNLESS YOU KEEP THE STARTER ENGAGED. HOW CAN I BYPASS THIS TO KEEP THE TRUCK RUNNING? JUST ONE THING AFTER ANOTHER:confused:

·
Bandwagon Jumper
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dropped the Steering Column and i saw the culprit. My ignition switch module had come apart from itself. The pin holding it together had popped off and allowed it to seperate. After reinstalling the pin and some Adhesive at all four corners on the outside, We were off again in the old IDI. Went ahead and hooked the back disc brakes up last night as well. Finally got around to putting in the new glow plugs too. She will be "new" before too long.

·
Bandwagon Jumper
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not drove it yet.. I still gotta put a rear seal in it.

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
congrats on gettin it going again. how you like the disc brakes? ive heard there not very good on these old trucks?
hmm ive heard only good things about disc rear on these trucks, with the exception of no e-brake. Glad you got / are getting the truck goin again. By time i seen the post you already figured it out. Had the same thing happen in my ranger. All that happened to mine was it would start without the key, not so bad.

·
Registered
262 Posts
hmm ive heard only good things about disc rear on these trucks, with the exception of no e-brake. Glad you got / are getting the truck goin again. By time i seen the post you already figured it out. Had the same thing happen in my ranger. All that happened to mine was it would start without the key, not so bad.
I've heard several SEVERAL people complain that the stock drum brakes were better than the discs that are available. For our trucks. Even when they put the hydroboost on it only brought it back to stock stopping. Always heard for our trucks atleast that hydroboost and drums work best...don't take my word tho cuz it's not first hand experience

·
Bandwagon Jumper
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sold this truck about two years ago to one of my friends at the time... He completely neglected the maintenance on the truck and when i eventually traded for it back, the back drum brakes (old axle) had been disconnected and the back brake lines twisted so they would quit leaking (rather than put a new line on), glow plugs burnt out, injectors leaking, front TTB falling out of it... So i installed the 01 axles in it and am just now getting around to fixing his #### ups. New glow plugs, intake work (cutting soup bowl and restrictor), new filters, new seals.
I also learned the newer axles will not tighten up right without a spacer b/n the yoke and bearings. I do not want to share how i fixed this, but its only maybe half a centimeter... Works great though. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts