Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so like the title says I'm in the process of doing a 7.3 swap on my girl Olga. She's been my side chick for 8+ years now and we've been through a lot together.
A couple of things to get out of the way, I am completely new to diesels. This will be the first vehicle I've owned that has a diesel engine. That being said I've got no problem getting in and getting shht done but I'm by no means a mechanic. So bear with me.
Also I've already committed to the 7.3 swap. I'm not doing a Cummins. I realise you can buy a kit and it'll just drop in and it's only one wire to run it. I want the 7.3. End of story.
I'll do my best to take and post as many pictures as possible. This project is currently underway and I'll update as things go along.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've since added airlift air bags inside the front coils to help with the added weight of the 7.3. It was sweet cause it gave her a nice almost level look but I know it's going to be short lived once I get that big bitch of a 7.3 in her. The farther shot is before the airlift and the close up is after.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's the new to me 7.3 originally out of a 2000 e350 van with 260xxxkm on it. I picked up the engine, tranny, rad, drive shaft, complete wiring harness, accelerator pedal, electronic fuel pump and then some all for 400$.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
79' c10 2wd "Olga" 7.3 powerstroke swap

So I ordered a new oil pan and moroso gasket for the 7.3 because the old one is rusted AF and leaking. I haven't put them on yet, I figured I'll keep the old pan on until I finish getting the engine mocked up and my mounts made. Just in case something gets banged up I'd rather it be the old pan and not my brand new one.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Sweet. Keep it up. I would look at doing an intercooler form a superduty.

Reactions: 410customs

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
very nice! Forget the cummins the 7.3 is plenty for most people I personally would rather have two more cylinders and +1.4 more liters of power!!
When your 7.3 leaks oil just tell the cummins guys its not leaking oil its bleeding power!

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
very nice! Forget the cummins the 7.3 is plenty for most people I personally would rather have two more cylinders and +1.4 more liters of power!!
When your 7.3 leaks oil just tell the cummins guys its not leaking oil its bleeding power!
Dude, this is the third jamieson in the group. What's going on here?

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
great minds......... all these years we thought we were the only "Jamiesan's" in North America, its spreading!!
Only issue I see here is You do not have a 7.3 seems maybe I need to come to Idaho and fix that!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So while I was working afternoons, I took off both accessory brackets, broke them down sandblasted the actual bracket then reassembled everything and painted them gold. I'm planning on painting the block a fresh coat of gloss black before dropping it in but first I've got to replace the exhaust back pressure tube which is rotted in half .

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also removed both the inlet and outlet tubes from the water pump to sandblast and paint them. Of course on the lower tube the one bolt came out fine then go to work on the bottom and get one good turn on it before it snaps off in the water pump. Eff me right. Luckily I got it out but what a waste of time lol oh well I guess it could've been both.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
wow now that is gold!! Nicely done...glad the broken bolt came out for you keep up the good work

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks yea I wasn't too happy when it broke but luckily I was able to drill it and use an extractor and it came right out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well it's been a couple weeks and Olga has kinda taken a back seat to life but I did manage to get the old mounting plates off and cleaned up. I also ordered new motor mounts for the 7.3 cause they were missing when I bought the motor. They will be here later this week then I'll bolt them up and throw in my mounting plates and sink the motor back in and get everything mocked up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So for the drivers side I was able to use the original Chevy motor mounting plate and just drill new holes for the 7.3 mount. Here's pictures of the Ford mount bolted to the Chevy mounting plate with the motor sunk down in where it's roughly gonna go. I still have to drill one new mounting hole in the frame because the Chevy mounting plate still has to be slide forward some in order to line up with the diesel mounts.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was unable to reuse and simply modify the passenger side stock Chevy mounting plate. I did however have the opportunity to bend a new one up at work...but on the one bend it was a little too much stress and the steel snapped being that the bend was almost 90 degrees. :(
A little disheartened but still optimistic, I tacked the seam back together so that I could take it and see how it would fit. I tried it tonight and I'm gonna have to modify it some more but I'm another step closer to getting the motor mounted in the truck :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts