Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Boss Hogg
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 bronco and I'm pulling the motor out and dropping a 95 7.3 powerstroke in it. What all am I gonna have to do and how difficult will this be?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Gonna have to fab up motor mounts, get a computer for the powerstroke engine, probally switch over to a trans thats out of a powerstroke or idi. You will want to beef up the front suspension alot to handle the weight as well as 3/4-1 ton axles. You might have to re fabricate where the transmission cross member is depending on the over all length of the stroker with trans and t case. I think you might have to run different fuel lines as well.

·
Boss Hogg
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm getting the entire 95 truck with the motor trams and transfer case. I'm gonna use as much as I can off of it including the rearend. I just gotta find a frontend cause I wanna to straight axle

·
Boss Hogg
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you can source a D60. you might be better off shortening the frame to the right wheelbase and putting the bronco cab on it.
What's the point in that? Still gotta do all electrical. And the bronco is mainly original so I'd like to keep matching body/frame vins

·
Registered
242 Posts
What's the point in that? Still gotta do all electrical. And the bronco is mainly original so I'd like to keep matching body/frame vins
The 95 frame is stronger and will better hold up to the powerstroke, as that is what it is made for, I agree you should shorten the frame, it would be less work.

I'm building a 63 f100 unibody shortbed fummins. The frame started life as a 88 350 crew cab long bed and has been shortened 54".

Although you can put the powerstroke in the bronco, I can promise you will have less work shortening the frame of the 95 plus the wiring over to the 79 then you would putting the powerstroke in the 79 frame and fabricating motor and trans mounts plus the wiring.

In my opinion its alot easier to find frame parts for a 95 over a 79.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The 95 frame is stronger and will better hold up to the powerstroke, as that is what it is made for, I agree you should shorten the frame, it would be less work.

I'm building a 63 f100 unibody shortbed fummins. The frame started life as a 88 350 crew cab long bed and has been shortened 54".

Although you can put the powerstroke in the bronco, I can promise you will have less work shortening the frame of the 95 plus the wiring over to the 79 then you would putting the powerstroke in the 79 frame and fabricating motor and trans mounts plus the wiring.

Just my .02
good to see im not the only one with this train of thought.

but it is your truck so do with it as you please. not trying to argue the right or wrong way to do this. as long as the finished product turns out the way you want, that is all that matters.
make sure to start a build thread :poke:

·
Boss Hogg
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good to see im not the only one with this train of thought.

but it is your truck so do with it as you please. not trying to argue the right or wrong way to do this. as long as the finished product turns out the way you want, that is all that matters.
make sure to start a build thread :poke:
Yea, thanks for the input guys! Once I start building her ill see what I decide. I'll start a thread

·
Registered
165 Posts
pretty sure sure there is a build thread on here can't remember the guys name tho

·
Boss Hogg
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Just my .02
I think I'm going to go with your idea, shorten the powerstroke frame and drop the bronco body on it. I've been thinking, this will be a lot easer because I won't have to find motor mounts, make a trans bracket and figure how to bolt the frontend up. My only concern is after I shorten the frame, won't I have weak spots or will it be fine if I box that area up?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think I'm going to go with your idea, shorten the powerstroke frame and drop the bronco body on it. I've been thinking, this will be a lot easer because I won't have to find motor mounts, make a trans bracket and figure how to bolt the frontend up. My only concern is after I shorten the frame, won't I have weak spots or will it be fine if I box that area up?
Yes, there will be weak spots. I cut two different sections out of my frame cus I had to shorten it soo much, but what I did is completely weld the seam inside and out and I also added 2"x1/4"x6" plates welded horizontally to the weld, each seam gets 3 plates and I also drilled some 1/2" holes through the plates/ frame with grade 8 bolts, so if the frame was to ever crack it would still be bolted. Ill upload some pictures to my build thread later so you can see exactly what I mean.

·
Boss Hogg
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, there will be weak spots. I cut two different sections out of my frame cus I had to shorten it soo much, but what I did is completely weld the seam inside and out and I also added 2"x1/4"x6" plates welded horizontally to the weld, each seam gets 3 plates and I also drilled some 1/2" holes through the plates/ frame with grade 8 bolts, so if the frame was to ever crack it would still be bolted. Ill upload some pictures to my build thread later so you can see exactly what I mean.
That's alot of help, thanks. I think I'm gonna do that and possibly box that area in

·
Boss Hogg
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Boxing that area up will make it a lot stronger and make it where that part of the frame won't flex nearly as much

·
Registered
242 Posts
Boxing that area up will make it a lot stronger and make it where that part of the frame won't flex nearly as much
Yeah I need to keep the frame on mine as stiff as possible and make the suspension soak it all up, my cab is a unibody so if the frame were to flex like a normal truck it could potentially tweak my cab and just f my day.

·
Boss Hogg
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I need to keep the frame on mine as stiff as possible and make the suspension soak it all up, my cab is a unibody so if the frame were to flex like a normal truck it could potentially tweak my cab and just f my day.
Yea I agree, same principle with the bronco body

1 - 20 of 25 Posts