Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this June the family and I are heading West from MI to Cali and back.
We're going to hit all the spots. Grand Canyon, painted desert, las vegas, the redwoods,
Yosemite, Alcatraz, Mt rushmore, Yellowstone, Glacier national. Hauling a pickup camper and a 6x10 enclosed trailer. Total load no more than 6500 pounds.

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions as how best to be prepaired beside the obvious stuff like u joints, brakes, ect. My truck is in good shape. Nice clean Texas truck that's been babied and not worked tooh hard. Details below:

2003 F250 CC LB 4X4 6.0 PSD / Torq shift
118K miles
EGR delete
Cat delete
Magnaflow cat back
Evo HT set on Economy
Coolant filter
Coolant flush done
Blue spring mod
Zoo dad mod

Highest oil/coolant seperation ever was 13 dgrs towing a car on a trailer through the smokies this past July. Normally 3-5. I think the oil cooler is fine.

Plan on running trip with Evo set on stock.

Thinking. About doing head studs before I leave. Is it worth it, other than piece of mind?
Planning on taking a spare FICM.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Thanks, Matt.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Well at this point you need to be inspecting it more than building a list of spare parts. Fix anything you find and you will not need parts. Fluids can be attended to easily. Maybe an oil change kit, some ELC, fuel filters.

If you can get the studs done do them soon. Better to drive it a few months before the big trip. The last thing you want to do is major motor work a week prior to a trip. I'd build a route, check local spots along the way for quality PSD shops and make a call list. I'm sure people here would help out in an emergency.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked it over myself, didn't find anything. Took it to a shop that's suppose to be good with 6.0's and all they found was two injectors that were starting to have stictation but that was in 30 degree weather...

ELC, oil kit and filters are a good idea. REALLY good idea to make a list of PSD shops along my route! Thanks!

Pretty much leaning twords leaving it alone and not doing the studs. I feel fairly confident that it's going to be fine. It's never been over heated, the oil / coolant variation is always low. It's been well taken care of.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
You can never be too prepared. Those numbers sounds good, just check the route for severe grades as well. Consider the fuel points along the route. Diesel is nice but crappy fuel just sucks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about an extra ICP sensor and the tools to change it. Had one of those take crap on the way back from Florida once, made a nice mess. Luckily, I got home....

Anyone have an other suggestions?

·
"Slap hands slap hands"
1,487 Posts
I'm in Vegas and have a great mechanic, hopefully you don't need it but here's the info Diesel Dr. 702-570-7577 Arnie is the owner he's saved my a$$ more then once. Personally you said you have a evolution programmer if you can afford it I would dump that thing and get a cts insight just for monitoring. I had a edge juice with attitude and it blew up on me on my way to the lake towing my boat. Created all kinds of issues, my turbo wouldn't spool up truck wouldn't turn off even with the key turned off and taken out etc... I don't trust edge products for programming at all even if they are placed in stock mode. Just my 2cents similar issue happened to my best friend in CO on his Cummins. Arnie is the one who drove 30 miles to help me on this occasion too. Hope you have a great trip preparation is everything and sounds like your on top of it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, thanks! Yeah, I would LOVE to have a CTS... I'll tell the wife (CFO) what you said about the Evo and how it can strand us. Tell her about your nightmare, maybe that'll work, LOL!
Thanks for the info, never know may need it. (Hope not.)

·
Registered
854 Posts
I wouldn't worry about taking anything but a spare tire, if you have the money and want to get it studded then go ahead. Its not like you have a million mile truck on its last leg. You worry to much

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't really have the extra cash, so I'm just going to roll the dice on the studs/gaskets, I guess.
Yeah, I may be thinking too much but it's not like it's just me. It's my wife, three kids and our dog.

Just picking brains and trying to be prepared....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts