Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am not sure where to post this. I have always ran 7.3 but my buddy loves his 6.4 since he traded his 7.3 for it. I want a super duty powerstroke that can pull anything but gets decent mpg. What are your guys' thoughts on which one i should get and why?

·
Strokin all day
1,084 Posts
In your position I'd look into a 6.0.

Your experience with 7.3s will translate better to a 6.0, 05 and up has coil springs as well so improved ride and handling. You will also be spending some money on either a 6.0 or a 6.4 to delete, tune ect.

6.4s do not get great fuel economy and while they are definitely strong a 6.0 will pull whatever you need it to as well. If you wanna just step up from your 7.3 a 6.0 is perfect. If you want big hp get the 6.4.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Repairs can get way more costly and can be more complicated on a 6.4 than a 6.0. Also as stated the milage isn't that great, most I get in show around 11-12 mpg, but I'm sure you could get more than that. 6.4s make great power but seem to me to be the least reliable of the power strokes. If money were not an issue I'd get a 6.7 for the power, for ease of repair, dependability, and lower cost go with a 7.3. But I'd pick a 6.0 over a 6.4.

·
The Dude
98 Posts
I have had a 6.0 two 7.3's and I recently traded my last 7.3 for my 6.4. I agree with everything that Spence said. I bought a VERY low mileage 6.4 paid big money for it ($35K) just to try to avoid the known issues. I wanted a 6.7 but couldn't find a clean low mileage one in that price range. I love my 6.4 it is a BEAST but its an expensive truck. I spent almost $3K as soon as I bought the truck. I changed the oil, fuel filters, intake, DPF and CAT delete, exhaust, Mini Maxx, coolant filter, coolant flush, thermostats, crank case vent mod. I stay on top of the maintenance and monitor everything and keep my fingers crossed. The truck is very smooth and rides much nicer than my 7.3. The fuel mileage on my 6.4 is worse than my 7.3. I would recommend a bulletproofed 6.0

·
Got PSN?
114 Posts
If it were me I'd stick with the good ol' 7.3. I love mine. My buddies all have 6.0's and 6.4's and yes they ride a little better and of course are a little quicker, but with the right amount of money anything can be made fast. I get the best fuel mileage out of all my buddies; 17 mpg. They average from 12-15 mpg in there trucks.

I also think my 7.3 tows better than anything else. I can hook up to pretty much anything and feel like its not even there.

The next thing I would worry about would be reliability. Anything can be made reliable with the right amount of money.

In the end don't let anyone sway you one way or the other get what you want.

My vote goes for the 7.3, but then again I like older women

:hehe::hehe::hehe:

·
Registered
103 Posts
6.4 because of ride, quieter, and more power. If I had the cash I'd order 2017. From what I've read it'll be sweet, and unlike some, I like the new look

1 - 6 of 6 Posts