Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the site but i am seeking help. I am 19 years old and bought a 7.3 when i was 17 its an 01 f-250 lariat it has run great i bought it with 181k and now it has 251k on the motor. knock on wood it has been a dream. that was until a week ago. underneath the truck i noticed tiny oil leak like the size of a quarter then as the week progressed the oil leak became the size of a softball and now to a basketball. i looked under the truck and notice to the left of the oil pan (if ur laying head towards front of truck looking up) oil running down to oil pan and leading to transfer case, oil is pooled everywhere. so i started it two mornings ago and it rough cold started with low power shooting white smoke with smell of burning oil then 45 seconds later it stopped and idled perfect. i thought head gasket but no oil in antifreeze and no antifreeze in dipstick however oil was below hash marks i filled it up to normal level and it still smoked on start up. can someone help idk wats going on

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Look in the valley behind the fuel filter. Check for oil pooling there and dripping down. If it's clean then check the dip stick tube where it connects to the oil pan. Could just be an o-ring on the tube or the seal to the pan. If you replace the o-ring get the correct one from Guzzle - Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Sounds good i appreciate it. But what would cause the white smoke from the tail pipe?
Could it be from normal condensation? You don't fill up your profile so we can't see where you are. If you are in TX, maybe not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check out the high pressure oil plugs at the back of the head. Mine started leaking really bad, bout one gallon in ten miles and turned out to be the big plug at the back of the passenger side head.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
If the oil is pooling in the engine valley, check the turbo pedestal, and ebpv actuator, HPOP lines and fittings, O-rings under HPO plugs, HPOP seal to engine cover and so on. If you are burning oil on start up you might check the turbo shaft play, dog house allowing too much oil past the mesh with excessive blowby filling the IC pipes with oil or turbo seals leaking.

Just start checking these areas first to rule them out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts