Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's it going everyone? Needing some help here. Have a 1989 f250 7.3 idi. Can't seem to get this pos running right. As of now it has a brand new injection pump. New injector lines and return lines from injectors. Glow plugs and GP controller. Just picked the truck up from the diesel shop today, they put a new IP on it.... Right out the gate it wouldn't start without either.... Spray with either and she fired up....makes a 2.5 hour trip home with zero issues.. get home, turn it off.....30 mins later she won't start. Give her a shot of either, still no start. So now we know the IP is brand new, brand new glow plugs, brand new GP controller, etc etc. I'm at a loss. What else could it be???

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
New doesn't mean good, especially when it comes to injector pumps and injectors.
Next time it doesn't restart after sitting around 30 minutes, pour some water over the ip and retry. If it starts, the ip is junk.
First you should see the health of the lift pump.
How much fuel is in the tank?
Also most shops don't know how to time the ip, so it's likely out of time.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! The IP was actually rebuilt by a quality shop here in town. The lift pump was just installed new at the se time as the IP. Both fuel tanks are full of new fuel. I'd like to hear other options before the water over IP test.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Is it smoking while cranking?
You can also verify if the ip shutoff solenoid is getting power.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
Ok. How long does the wait to start light stay on? It may be bad glow plugs.
I know you said the put in new plugs, but if they were not motorcraft ZD-9 glow plugs, they are probably burned out already.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maybe the oil pressure is not sufficient at start up due to maybe an internal loss of oil.I ran across a post on here where a guy added about an extra quart over the dip stick fill of oil , that prevented the oil from leaking back down into the oil pan between star up,because of crack in a diaphram , look it up to confirm. I dont want you to mess up your engine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.