Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 ford 7.3 with 294k and have been noticing over the last few days that when its hot or cold it smokes whiteish smoke. Sometimes it looks blue. I unplugged the mat sensor and seemed to help but still noticing smoke also. Any ideas?

· Premium Member
99 & 00, F350s, manual and auto, Ext & Crew Cab, 4x2 & 4x4, need more room!
4,239 Posts
A couple of thousand ideas, but useless without more info.

1. Get FORScan scanning software for Fords (free) and an OBDII reader. Greatest troubleshooting tool ever! I do not have financial interest in this tool. I just love it.
$12 for the 1-year PC license (not necc) and $7 for the android. OBDII reader $20-$60.

2. DO NOT throw parts at it . . . if you must, then make them Motorcraft parts. Ford diesels are quite particular about their sensors.

Drain your fuel filter a little, then open it and check the filter. Is it dark / black? Means an injector o-ring is leaking.

Codes from running the FORScan tests will give you a lot more info. If a cylinder is lesser contribution, it may be rings.
How is your air filter?

· Premium Member
4,239 Posts
What info are you looking for. I dont have any codes but seems to be progressively getting worse as i drive it
No, nothing is necessarily the culprit! We don't have enough information.

Do you have a scanner capable of reading the Ford Heavy truck protocols? If not, get FORScan.

Are you just saying the fuel filter is "good", or did you look at it and see? IF the fuel filter is dark, that MAY point to injector rings.

White is excess fuel, blue is oil. Generally. Generally.

Nothing can be stated specifically because we don't have enough information. If you don't feel like getting FORScan, see if you can rent a scanner or if a parts store will scan it for you.

· Premium Member
1995 Ford F-350 7.3 PSD
346 Posts
Are you going to rebuild your turbo or are you going to put a OEM turbo back on or do you think you'll put a different one on?

· Premium Member
4,239 Posts
If your turbo blew, you may have oil in your intercooler. Drain it and clean it well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts