Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Fasthog.com
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If it makes a difference or not for the EXCURSION which I am itchin to buy one. I have a general idea certain builds and better things in each 7.3 but if possible could someone help find me a damn link for this if already asked? I remember 99.5-00 were forged rods an all that. So while im buyin a Ex I rather buy one with the best 7.3 I can possible, and no just say I want a newer model or this or that. Generally im not worried about it, and I know my basics as far as diesels and what to look for buying. But again as I ahve read I would rather have an 00 with forged rods over a digital instrument cluster or all that. This is just for a traveling rig with buddies and whatnot, finally something everyone fits in and to have storage within cabin. So I plan on just highway/occasional use.

All info helps,
Thanks!

PS I know my 99.5 in driveway w/ forged rods rocks cause shes over 300K now!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I guess it will depend on how much power you want. If you need the forged rods, then I guess 2000 and some 2001s are your best bet. If you are happy with basic power mods then I would get the newest and cleanest.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I would limit it to anything with a 7.3L and then focus on the suspension and go form there. I saw a guy around here that did an 08 front suspension on a 96 OBS, Coilovers and all. It was sweet and simple.. Something I had thought about doing since the suspensions on the Ex's suck. Forged rods would be nice, but any 7.3L is going to keep going.. Mine will be tripping over 300k in less than 4k and I have done nothing to the motor except aftermarket turbo, tuner, exhaust and some odds and ends....

Look for one with captains chairs in the middle row, they fold down and with the rear seat out it is a huge open box.. I have camped / Ski'd for over a week out of mine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts