Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the split shot injectors, what are some of the differences between the two that make the 6.0 so much quieter? I know that Some companies offer drive through tunes for the 7.3 that makes them quiet for a bit. So what's the deal pickle?

·
Registered
756 Posts
The 6.0 is actually louder now with any of the recent programming. When they first came out they had pilot injection which is why Ford said they were quieter than the 7.3.

·
Intelligent Burro
450 Posts
Ford also added alot of soundproofing to the 03. The firewall is made of a sound deadening material which reduces noise in the cab.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ever been next to a straight piped 6.0?

Its not quieter... haha

·
International Diesel Tech
199 Posts

Its not quieter... haha
I was going to say that too. They have a heck a wrap to the exhaust compared to a 7.3.

·
Registered
504 Posts

Its not quieter... haha
All my co workers call it the jet engine!

Gotta love the straight pipe 6.0:rockwoot::rockwoot:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So all the "clatter" from the earlier 7.3 was just the injectors? My moms 6.0 has a strait pipe and when my dads 99 or my 97 is parked beside it you can't hear hers at all.

·
Registered
454 Posts
yup. the injectors firing it off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When my '05 6.0 is parked next to my '97 7.3, the engine noise from my 7.3 is louder than my 6.0. But the exhaust is louder from my 6.0 than my 7.3. Both are straight piped.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My 2000 7.3 is quieter than my buddy's 2007 6.0. With the Hutch mod, Frx, and Hpx, it really smoothed the engine out and reduced the injector cackle. His engine is a good bit louder than mine.

We both have 4" MBRP exhaust, but his has more turbo whistle (due to the 6.0 turbo) at idle, while mine has more of a V8 rumble.

The interiors are a different story. My truck is an XL, with vinyl floor; his is a Lariat CC. His is much quieter inside.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Hutch mod (or in-tank fuel mod) is for 7.3s to get rid of the stock fuel suction/return mixing valve to minimize air getting to the injectors. The Frx(fuel cross-over) adds fuel return lines to the heads and ties them into the fuel pressure regulator and return, to eliminate the "dead-head" fuel system on 7.3s. The Hpx (High Pressure Oil crossover) connects the high pressure oil system between the heads, balancing the flow of oil side to side.

Hutch mod: Hutch Mod

Fuel Crossover: Fuel Crossover

High Pressure Oil Crossover: High Pressure Crossover

·
Registered
76 Posts
Crossover lines are just another spot for fluids to leak from.....
Or you can install them correctly and they don't leak.

Everybody always recommends getting a regulated return system, but then you just added more spots for leaks, plus a mechanical regulator that can fail, and a gauge that can fail.

Mechanical fittings on fluid systems are not that difficult to assemble, yet I've seen experienced mechanics do it wrong. I'm willing to bet that most of the people that have leaks with crossover lines didn't install them correctly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts