Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Supreme Sandwich
16 Posts
Not a big van fan, but these builds are cool!!

There's what I believe to be one of those Ujoint conversions driving around here. All black, on 31s or 33s, didn't get a chance to tell. Really neat.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Thanks!!

Man oh man, I was never a van fan either until I had kid/grandkids and some dogs, also parents are getting older and they can still climb up into the van easier then anything else we own . This van is the bondo wagon!! Keeping my eyes peeled for a donor van body we can swap then around or use to fix the rust.
We were driving next to a 2008 or so E350 yesterday with a 05+ coil sprung solid axle up front...drool drool drool!!! only problem is its not a diesel, otherwise it looked awesome!
I cannot wait to 4x4 this van, as money allows. When we do go 4x it will be using the 05+ superduty coil spring axle.

Finally fixed the AC leak, 3/8" line towards back of the van was rusted at the union. So I cut the line, used a Dorman compression line patch kit and it was holding. Vacuumed the system it pulled 20 inch pounds of vacuum and held it for an hour. So then we charged the system and the AC is blowing ice cold front and rear!

Only van issue now is the dang torque converter noise...I am sure it will get louder and louder over time until it needs yet another converter. I suspect cracked flywheel or trans pump issue. Regardless the trans will get replaced/rebuilt when we do 4x4 conversion so it just needs to last until then. So it looks like when we go 4x4 the best route maybe with the body removed for a complete body swap at the same time.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I didn't hear anything, but flex plate noises usually occur during idle or light load. Sort of a rattle type noise.

Pumps are more of a whine noise and they get worse under load, not better. Converters also are rpm and load sensitive and should go away under lock up.
Exactly what is happening here

I'm really, really bad at diagnosing noises I can't hear in person.
Totally understand Mark, The video doesn't do it justice

When the flex plate cracks it is usually so close to or under that washer that it can’t bw seen without pulling it. That’s what I found in my research when I had the torque converter issues on the white truck. It ended up being my TQ even though it was brand new it was junk. I replaced the flex plate at the same time anyway just to cover the bases. I didn’t want to drop the trans again for a $70 part
This is the story of my Ford fixing life! If its gonna happen its gonna happen to me!!

Converter we replaced was a reman from Ford...so this is at least #3. I should have pulled the dang flywheel but you know when you are moving 3 states away your not always thinking clearly LOL

·
Supreme Sandwich
16 Posts
Are you feeling brave enough to attempt a ZF5/ZF6 swap? Hehe. Would certainly be something I would do as time would allow, but I understand the appeal of just letting the auto shift for you.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I can do a manual conversion no problem, I do this all the time on the much more complicated drivetrains in Rangers and Explorers
However the van will stay automatic simply because we use it for commuting, road trips, and towing. My 97 F350 "shop truck" is a ZF5 manual and I love driving that SOB!!! But the Excursion and Van will remain automatic. Now if I had the money I would probably go past the 4r100 and do a late model 6 speed auto conversion :)

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
The van! She made a road trip to Colorado and back towing a small trailer. Van still has a torque converter noise at idle, some may call it a "chatter"
The van also was still cutting out for just a split second. If you are driving it and hit a large pothole or bump, the engine cuts out for a split second, then comes back to life instantly.
To try and solve this issue I installed a spare CPS (camshaft pos sensor)
This one was a BWD part from Oreillys. Something was not right, the van ran fine but the transmission shifting was all messed up, especially first thing in the morning. Almost like the converter was slipping badly.
I ordered a new CPS, the Ford blue one (updated part) and installed it.
Transmission shifting appears to be fixed, no more slipping, the fuel feed pedal is way more responsive.
I will be installing the blue Ford CPS into my 97 F350 and the Excursion today

Still need to see if the van cuts out over a large pothole like before.
If it does I suspect three things (research says):
CPS pigtail
Battery terminals
Ignition switch in steering column

Stay tuned!

Considering a 5 speed automatic conversion for the van when we go 4x4, my friend is a dealer for US Shift
I am looking for 2005+ Superduty donor parts for the solid axle conversion, so maybe I will go with a 5 speed at the same time.
Either way the van is running great just over 61K miles now

·
Native Texan
9,023 Posts
that would be awesome I am slowly getting mine tuned in to where I want it. its still got a few hiccups I am working out of the controller. And of course adding the tuner with the chip has changed things. So it does take some effort. to get them dialed in but u can tune it as ur needs appear and u can make multiple programs for them and switch with ur tunes. I will have to build one to go with my daily and my tow tunes.

"Y'all have a wonderful"
"My name is Bob the guy floating in the lake with no arms and no legs"
TSGT Bob W Martin USAF 1948-2014

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
back with the van! Van has 66 miles on it now? somewhere around there.
The cutting out issue and odd shifting (hanging from 1-2 only first few shifts in the am) appear to be fixed. We updated the CPS (cam pos sensor, mounted on the crank of 7.3) to the blue one and those two issues went away.

However the AC quit working AGAIN. Bye bye 4lbs of R134......
So I found another of the rear ac lines w a steel fitting that rusted through.
So I ordered another Dorman ac splice kit, this time 3/4" dia
It appeared to have worked wonderfully as we have been holding vacuum in the system for overnight.
I plan to re charge this am, I also cleaned the orifice tube, it was actually in pretty good shape.
This van is mechanically awesome, but the body.,........eh the rust and bondo job the dealer did is coming off
We are talking 1-2" thick, patched together, 8=10" up the doors....yikes. They did a ####ty job, cool w me this is why we got this thing for $3500!!!!!!!!!!! (62K miles) Chicago rust

We have been searching for a replacement body for a while, I have found a few vans in our price range (like $300-1000) with high tops even some conversion vans! But the funds are not there yet.
The good news is the FJ is up to speed, the bronco is almost ready for duty, the F350 is running great and needs very little, the excursion is lifted and back on the road, so the next big build around here is this van

We plan:
body swap or this 7.3 drivetrain conversion into new van
4x4 at same time
coil sprung D50 ttb :)
Please send $$$

but first, repair the AC I gotta take this sucker to Colorado and back one more time to get our camper we left parked at the in laws...........

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Vans own all
This thing is like built for towing bumper pull campers....it cuts through the Wyoming crosswinds better then a formula one car!

Made 18mpg on the way there doing 70-80 mph approx 12-14 mpg on the way back no problem hauling at 65-75 mph

Successful round trip to Colorado and back, had to go get my custom 28' camping trailer... Van is a hero

2600 mile +/- round trip
Now pushing 69K miles, the 7.3 rules at hauling! Camper is no match for the E350

Ac is working pretty good, not the greatest but its cold front and rear
The van still cuts out over a harsh bump....cuts out for a second, all dash lights, then comes right back. I know it is not the CPS anymore
I am pretty sure it is the second battery, the hold down is missing and the battery is bouncing around in there.... so I will re visit the frame mounted battery tray

Clark fork = almost home!

Redneck camper mobile (custom inside and out)

Yes I am 12' tall

61 - 71 of 71 Posts