Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
cheapo stainless up pipes from Amazon are going back. I can stretch the bellows just fine to make them seal up but the drivers side was welded wrong it needs to twist at the exhaust manifold and that wont happen (we tried)
Amazon returning them we ordered another set already not these stainless jobs, we ordered another set of dorman units they seem to fit without issue.
Otherwise she is running great! Batteries are up and charged, the battery cables seem to have fixed the not wanting to start or charge issues...

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
truth is I am not sure who build these pipes I order off Amazon from JDMSPEED for $89.99 shipped. The first set fit excellent on stepson #1 2000 F250, bolted up like stock and sealed first shot.
Then when shopping for a second set a few weeks later for stepsons #2's 2001 F350 we found the stainless units for $10 less...... whoops.
Now I am returning the stainless does not fit set and getting another set of the JDMSPEED units (they happen to look just like the dorman parts and pics)
We also ordered a 3rd set now to install on stepson #2 F350 because the ones he bought a few weeks ago we installed on the van I just sold him.
We are all 7.3 freaks with shops and families so do not be surprised if each family (3ea) end up with a truck/superduty, a Van and an Excursion along with all of our Rangers Explorers Broncos and the Wife's odd ball Yota hahahahaha.

My wife and I lead they follow, it works out very well!
The kids are gonna inherit a virtual fleet of vehicles.......

·
Administrator
8,275 Posts
Still no pics of the tail housing.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yeah sorry I got the pics just had to send to myself and upload them

First you can see the gap between manifold and stainless pipe on drivers side...that's not going to work! We tried alot of ways to get it to stretch and twist...they welded it at the wrong angle = CHEAP!!

For the van 4r100 tailhousing:

EVERYTHING I can find says output shaft must be changed UNLESS you use the Sportsmobile adapter which is $$$$ and then it pushes the t case even further back requiring even more mods to fuel tank........
I searched for quite a while about the 4r100. I am HOPING you know something different because I love custom MODS sometimes

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ordered some tires today, heck of a promotion going on from Cooper tires, was able to get 4ea Cooper Discover HT3 245 16 10 plys shipped to me for $472
We plan to use the van to help us move 1500 miles, first it needs tires and a day or two in the shop for a look see

·
Native Texan
9,070 Posts
Ordered some tires today, heck of a promotion going on from Cooper tires, was able to get 4ea Cooper Discover HT3 245 16 10 plys shipped to me for $472
We plan to use the van to help us move 1500 miles, first it needs tires and a day or two in the shop for a look see
better look see the truck back into shape or the van may have to pull it to Idaho.?

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone that hasn't caught fire yet.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yes! Backups for the backups!!
When you drive old trucks its a good idea to have some extras

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Van is registered, insured and in service!!

Put the van in the shop for two days, gave it a good once over
Has a small oil leak oil cooler to engine gasket, just wet in the area, this is the ONLY leak

Somebody replaced one of the fuel lines, stocker rusted out.
They left the old stock line in place lol hack job but it works

Dealership only replaced one front brake line, so I did the other side as well as the caliper slide pins
oil is fresh and they even used a motorcraft 1995, the trans fluid is bight red and not burnt, this sucker is pretty dang clean!!
All new brake pads all 4 corners, new windshield, brand new spare tire. rear disc brakes?? I had no idea.....i figured 8 on 6.5 must be drums
4 new cooper all season tires, two new interstate batteries, a motorcraft fuel filter, two motorcraft air filters, a good once over and she's on the road........
55K mile 7.3!!!! Chateau edition....power locks windows and a keyfob
It also has the idle / PTO controller, tow package with brake controller!!

Wife took it to Costco for moving supplies...van will be towing a small trailer to Idaho this week! I love this bondo wagon

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hell yea. I would love to have a 7.3 van. I would definitely need to convert it to 4×4 though. Good luck with the move.

Reactions: 410customs

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
thank you
It will be converted, but for now it needs to make a trip North! If a 26' budget truck can do it so can the van!
Wife loves it, kids love it, dogs love it, and its a low mile 7.3....cannot ask for much more then that!

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Get this
We had been driving the van around for a week, all was going great!
My buddy Mark was going to drive it to Idaho for us towing a trailer with my bronco on it.
The night before we left I found red puddle in shop....
front pump seal let go
dribble teaspoons at a time when warm from behind converter
Shut it off and it pools about a half cup
no leak visible when cold

So the van did not make the trip
Now we are back in town and today we pull the 4r100......
2wd it should be easy right? Tons of rust....wish us luck
so far d shaft is out, pan is off and lines /electrical / shifter unhooked
working on x member next....yikes
Most tools are packed

plan is to pull 4r100, R&R front pump seal and bushing and re install..........

I have also read about the 4r having a cooler bypass valve that can send hot fluid back to trans or a plugged cooler
maybe I should check that before pulling trans
fluid that leaked was not hot, trans not hot at all.......?? overfilled?

·
Administrator
8,275 Posts
Did you see if the vent was plugged.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I tried but 2wd has the spinning vent cap thing not a line, not sure how to check it? it spins freely, looks like new and no signs of dirt

trans is out
has ford reman converter?
converter has a groove in hub catches fingernail
seal looks okay, will pull seal and take a look at bushing

builder recommends new converter, pump bushing, seal, pump O ring and gasket

thoughts?

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

·
Native Texan
9,070 Posts
I tried but 2wd has the spinning vent cap thing not a line, not sure how to check it? it spins freely, looks like new and no signs of dirt

trans is out
has ford reman converter?
converter has a groove in hub catches fingernail
seal looks okay, will pull seal and take a look at bushing

builder recommends new converter, pump bushing, seal, pump O ring and gasket

thoughts?
Don't see to many problem with the bushings unless its been neglected.the groove is a problem will probably have to get a converter and seal. if you just put a seal in it it will eventually start leaking again.

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone that hasn't caught fire yet.

Reactions: 410customs

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
new triple disk converter in my hands, I did not do the billet upgrade and this was a great price so I snatched it up $250
front pump has been rebuilt with all new bushings and seals.

So we pulled the trans, we removed the front pump, I drove across town to pickup the parts then headed to my trans builders house (very good friend)
We spent 3 hours rebuilding the front pump, well he did while I watched.
All new bushings in the pump and all new O rings....
will re install today

Old seal was grey/silicon new seal is the black /viton
The old seal was likely started dry a time or two and got hard sitting over the years, as soon as I flexed the seal it split, 99% sure that's where the leak was from and beacuse it was hard and old it wore grooves into the Ford reman converter.

I wanted a single mass billet torque converter but cannot afford the $500+ right now so we settled with triple disk metal body... I can always change it out when we do 4x4 conversion

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Happy Thanksgiving!!

So far so good! installed the new pump and converter then transmission last night
She took 14 quarts of Valvoline mercon V and a bottle of Lubeguard additive, which means I was able to exchange all but 3 quarts the total system holds 17.5
All gears working, shifting very well and best of all NO LEAKS

rebuilding the front pump:

new bushings

New triple disk converter, paper gasket, and 9 new pump to case bolt washers (bolts are under pressure, the washers seal the fluid, must replace)

rebuilt pump with all new sealing rings and new viton front main seal

From now on I would like to only have to do auto transmissions in 2wd van's, WAAAAAAY too easy
Now I can pack up my transmission jack and tow some stuff around to test the van

21 - 40 of 78 Posts